[SOLVED] What should I do in my case

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have some critical files that may include documents, excel, photos etc to keep in a USB stick, however, to avoid
hardware failure I need a backup of all the files to another stick. New files could be created, useless files could be deleted and some files could be modified almost every day. How can I easily keep the backup drive exactly as the first drive (even deleted files will be deleted on the backup drive as well) ? Do I need any third-party tool?

Solution
Sounds like you need a syncing application like:
However, do be warned due to user error, syncing operations frequently go wrong. Namely the the wrong disk gets synced or the process gets interrupted by the user or another application. Too many things can go wrong. Therefore, I'm not a fan of this process.

However, if do go down this route. I strongly advice a third backup device which you maybe backup manually every two weeks.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
However, do be warned due to user error, syncing operations frequently go wrong. Namely the the wrong disk gets synced or the process gets interrupted by the user or another application. Too many things can go wrong. Therefore, I'm not a fan of this process.

However, if do go down this route. I strongly advice a third backup device which you maybe backup manually every two weeks.

Solution

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Any other solutions otherwise than this software? As you said, it has a lot of problems

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have thought about using cloud services like OneDrive or Google Drive
to replace a physical USB stick totally. However, I need to download the files and upload the files again every single time which makes me feel pretty much inconvenient

USAFRet

Titan
I have some critical files that may include documents, excel, photos etc to keep in a USB stick, however, to avoid
hardware failure I need a backup of all the files to another stick. New files could be created, useless files could be deleted and some files could be modified almost every day. How can I easily keep the backup drive exactly as the first drive (even deleted files will be deleted on the backup drive as well) ? Do I need any third-party tool?
Start here. Modify as needed:

popatim

Titan
Synctoy2.1 is a free Microsoft download that is real easy to setup and use and can keep your two flashdrives in 'sync'. You can make two sync operations. If main flash drive is G: and backup is H: Then you could setup a sync for PC to G: and a second one of G: to H: to run when you are ready. (or pc to H: if its faster)

robocopy is a build in windows command that you could also use. You could even add a autorun batch file to the backup flashdrive to mirror the first flashdrive. Something like robocopy G:\ H:\ /mir /copyall /r:10 /log+:c:\robolog.txt might be all you need. Put that it a batch file and make it the auutorun on H: and when you are done with changes to G: you simply plug in H: and it will kick off (as long as autorun is enabled). Definitely backup the data while you experiment to get it working like you want.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
This is why I previously asked if they always use the same pc. Mine don't change unless I boot to a different OS or use a different PC.

Do you know if the free Ms tool you advised simply overwriting all the files from the main drive to backup or every time or does it compare the files and be picky to overwrite??

Yes, How about if I am not always using the same drive?? As he said, the letter of flash drives maychange from time to time......