Question What should I do? (RX 5700 XT)

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
So I have been having ALOT of problems with this card revolving around overheating. I am getting a totally black screen, crashing, graphical bugs, and flashing colors. It is pretty obvious that the cause is overheating as I saw the temp get well over 90c on default frequency/Voltage. Now my question is could the overheating ruin the cards performance (over how much time) and is there any fix other than under voltage? (I will not crank up the fan anymore as it is terrible loud) I will be getting the water cooler from Arctic on release but tile than what should I do?

UGBimHm.jpg

UPDATE:
So for some reason now whenever I open a game and play it for about 2 minutes the PC freezes and not even the power button turns it off. I have to press the off button on the PSU. I think the card is dying or something. So now I am returning it and just going to wait for a third company card.
If I did not have any of these problems I would say hell yah buy the card! But I suggest waiting for a third party card or just press your luck and hopefully you get a good card and/or don't get my problems.

Last edited:
Yes....if the components run hotter than their specification (whatever that is) then they can be damaged and this can ruin the cards performance.

Although I don't know if 90C would do that. It's not THAT much over a somewhat normal temp of 80C.

As far as what to do. I'm surprised that card is running so hot on max fans.

Might it be the case that's too hot?

I would try running with the case open and see what the difference is in the temp. If there's a significant difference I would run with the case open or add case cooling.

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
I got a 280 Radiator (3 fans) in the front and 2 fans in back with a fan on top.
It is even at 60c at idle (1%). My PC airflow is pretty good.
Even my storage in the basement of the case gets airflow.
0zb476n.png

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
If the GPU is already running hot then I wouldn't overclock it, if anything under volt it a bit and see if that improves temps enough not to crash.

If it still causes issues return the GPU and wait for a aftermarket version with better cooling.
I have never bought a reference card before and I see why people always say to wait. But I thought I would just get it and put a better cooler on it my self. But I would never have thought it would be this bad.

WildCard999

Titan
I have never bought a reference card before and I see why people always say to wait. But I thought I would just get it and put a better cooler on it my self. But I would never have thought it would be this bad.
It depends on your ambient (room temp) as well.

Back in 2013 I bought a R9 290 4gb blower style GPU. In the winter (snowfall) I could keep my window open and the system kept the room at a comfortable 67F, so yea I fully understand. During the summer my electric bill went up quite a bit as I pretty much had to run a air conditioning unit constantly when I ran my PC.

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
It depends on your ambient (room temp) as well.

Back in 2013 I bought a R9 290 4gb blower style GPU. In the winter (snowfall) I could keep my window open and the system kept the room at a comfortable 67F, so yea I fully understand. During the summer my electric bill went up quite a bit as I pretty much had to run a air conditioning unit constantly when I ran my PC.
Yah, it is currently 64f outside and my room is 68f. My PC is my heater.