Question What should I do? (SSD Upgrade?)

nickkoops

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
So i'm planning on just buying a 128 GB ssd for windows but I have one problem, Windows is currently on a seperate disk a 250 GB one, i recently added a 500 GB because i was running low on storage but when my PC is fully started, the default apps that start up like Discord take a whole minute to start up. So how should I tackle this problem.
Thanks.

So i'm planning on just buying a 128 GB ssd for windows but I have one problem, Windows is currently on a seperate disk a 250 GB one
Get 250GB SSD instead. Then you can clone your HDD to SSD.
This is much faster than full reinstall - you don't have to:
reinstall OS,​
reinstall your software,​
backup user data from old OS drive,​
restore user data to SSD.​

Last edited:

nickkoops

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
What are you exactly asking? I just don't want to be like "Take out HDD, put in SSD, install Windows, done.", I'm just not seeing what you're expecting to get stuck on.
Mostly i dont have a USB stick to transfer windows to a new SSD, or I'm just thinking too hard.
Just unplug the HDD and fit in my SSD?
The problem was and is, is that there is stuff like games etc on the 250 GB drive

If you can't put in both of your HDDs and an extra SSD, you'll need to unplug either of them. You can't just transfer programs/games. All installations are kept track of in the registry, which is on the OS drive. Seeing as you're reinstalling your OS, you'll have a new registry.

I know you can open a Windows installer from a working, running Windows instance, but I'm not sure if you can install Windows as usual. I've only used USB drives to install Windows in the past 5 years, before that, only DVDs...

TRENDING THREADS