What should I do to achieve higher overclock? [FX-6300]

Kograth303

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hi guys. I have the following system, in which I am asking for help to see what is happening around my system... Could you please help?

MOBO: Asus M5A99FX
CPU: FX-6300
Cooler: DeepCool Storm Lucifer

Current OC (fully stable and cool):

-> CPU: 4.8Ghz @ 1.3875v (give or take 0.0125 as I can't recall it at the moment)
-> NB: 2.6Ghz @ stock voltage.
-> HT: 2.6Ghz @ stock voltage.

OC I wish to achieve:

-> CPU: 5.0Ghz @ 1.45v
-> NB: 3.0Ghz (please suggest voltage)
-> HT: I am fine with the current speeds.

Problems I had during multiple tries:

1. For the CPU: Above 4.8Ghz I couldn't seem to stabilize the PC, whenever the Passmark benchmark or AIDA hit the FPU benchmark/stress test the PC would shut down instantly. Might I mark I DID NOT HAVE ANY heat issues or voltage issues, more said I should not be having voltage issues @ 1.45v and while running AOD (AMD OverDrive tool) the system would be stable during the stress test though it would simply just shut down.

2. For the NB: Above 2.6 (as in 2.8 or 3.0Ghz setting) any voltage I would put on it the PC refuses to boot. I do fear that the voltage is set, though the MOBO is not supplying enough power.

I have a 750W PSU, it should be more than enough for this OC.

What I think is happening:

I never touched the DIGI+ Power Controls to manually set the Load Lines, Current Capabilities, Power Phase and Frequency Controls. Should I be setting this to Ultra High/Extreme to get the additional boost out of it? I do feel like there seems to be a sudden voltage drop when the FPU gets hit by a huge load and therefore the PC shuts down because the Phases do not respond in time.

Is my idea close to what's happening? Anyway this should be interesting to discuss. I hope to hear from you guys! Thank you in advance!

Solution
Zen is some long time in coming, I don't think you'd see any performance loss if you drop it to 4.8GHz. Just not worth frying VRMs and MB with it like I did with a GA-790.
It's kinda wander you got stable 4.8GHz OC. 5GHz is a bit over ambitious. There's always a hard jump in required voltage at some point which you obviously reached. You'll probably need well over 1.5V for 5GHz. It's not easy with 6350 which is much higher binned.

Kograth303

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello @CountMike!

Well, as an update, I managed to get 5Ghz with stable OC, though I was not able to get more out of the NorthBridge frequency, so at the moment I am at 5Ghz stable, with 1.4675 (I must admit it, this low voltage amazes me) and I decided to OC the rams as well, so I managed to get 2400Mhz from 1866Mhz cards. Which is really nice so far. I will see what happens in time, I will definitely have to run a 24H stability test as for now I only did 1H of stress testing yet.

Kograth303

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Second update log:

I ran a 3 hour stress test and I started playing games, the PC uptime was all day long at 12+ hours, the heat of the CPU was cool, and the RAM were ok as well, though there was a strange noise coming from the motherboard at full load. I feel like I pushed my VRMs really far, because that's what I think my noise was coming from... I know I heard that noise before when I tried OCing my CPU on a 4+1 phase motherboard, and now at 5Ghz I think that the phases are giving up so I decided to back up. It was a good ride, but I am not risking blowing the motherboard. A motherboard upgrade would be nice to an 8+2 phase setup instead of a 6+2 of my current MB, though at this late stage, I think I would be really better off going after a new rig, new setup. Maybe wait for the Zen series to come out.

@CountMike, any thoughts?