What should I do to increase my home server media speed?

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I am using wireless/powerline, and my streaming speed on my freenas is really slow on all computer. What should I do, and how should I hook up to increase all the streaming 1080p or higher video. My freenas ethernet hook up directly to my router (Netgear R6300), and my internet speed is 50mbps (Not sure if home network affecting by internet speed?).

Solution
The router could be on the same channel as others in your building and getting lots of interferance. On an android phone or tablet, you can install wifi-analyser

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

This will let you see what channels are running on all the wifi in the range of your tablet and phone. If you see big overlaps, you can try moving your channel around in your router. sometimes it makes a huge difference.

POwerline, not a lot to tweak. Either the wiring supports it or it doesn't. I know most big multi-unit apartment buildings are usually a few breakers for the whole apartment. You could try a different outlet for either adapters, might help, might not.

If the wife wants...
If the freenas is on the router, than that's not an issue. It's how far the router is from your devices on the wireless or the powerlines in your house aren't good for powerline.

Nothing beats ethernet. Preferably nowadays, gigabit ethernet. I use wireless and powerline in parts of my house and it kind of sucks. The only spot wireless is good is right next to my router and everything else is gigabit ethernet. Eventually the whole house will be except for phones and tablets.

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
One PC is 6 feet, and another PC is a wall from my router. My powerlines (600Mbps Gigabit)/wireless(5Ghz) are used on that two computer. It is very close, but I have difficulty streaming the video. My transfer speed is only 5-6 Mbps.

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
The speed went up about 80Mbps when I hook the PC to the same router. How can I increase the streaming speed if my wife PC a wall away from the router. Or watching the media from my tablet was slow too.

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
The router provide the wifi for the tablet, and the powerline or wireless for her PC. The powerline steady, but the transfer speed for her is around 5-6mbps

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
So there is no possible way to increase the speed about 5-10 Mbps, unless connect directly connect PC & Server ethernet to router port? Powerline and 5Ghz wifi are useless?

Powerline works best when their sockets connecting the plugs are on the same breaker. IF they have to skip a breaker or two in house, or your wiring is old, or not done up to code, or on the same breaker as a fridge, AC, or other big appliciances that can dirty the power.

Now is the powerline adapter plugged right into the router? This is why I asked to explain a bit better how things are setup.

For the Wifi, maybe try the 2.4ghz band. I find 5ghz goes further, like AC goes even further, but 2.4 still gives good speeds if your close enough.

What router do you have? Not all routers are created equal. There is a huge difference in wifi performance between a $30 router and a $300 router.

DaiToBu

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Yes the powerline adapter connect directly into the router. My router are netgear R6300, and I live in the apartment, so the wiring might be bad. That is true my 2.4GHZ sometimes faster than my 5GHZ.

The router could be on the same channel as others in your building and getting lots of interferance. On an android phone or tablet, you can install wifi-analyser

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

This will let you see what channels are running on all the wifi in the range of your tablet and phone. If you see big overlaps, you can try moving your channel around in your router. sometimes it makes a huge difference.

POwerline, not a lot to tweak. Either the wiring supports it or it doesn't. I know most big multi-unit apartment buildings are usually a few breakers for the whole apartment. You could try a different outlet for either adapters, might help, might not.

If the wife wants good internet that bad, then you may have to deal with a 50ft ethernet cable tucked behind things and maybe duct taped across a door threshold. lol.

Solution