What should I do to my computer before replacing the motherboard and cpu hardware?

b4rrett50c

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
My new cpu and motherboard came in and i'm not sure what I should do before just going ahead and replacing the two. Is there anything I will need to do before installing such as uninstalling the drivers and other things? Thank you.

Solution

No.
1. You need to find and save ALL the info that you will need to do this
Username/passwords, serial numbers, license keys, drivers. If you don't have all that, you will kick yourself.

2. You boot from the install DVD, not put it in after.

Frogeee

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I never uninstalled any drivers, but I would recommend starting new. When I upgraded my computer I started new by reinstalling windows and it was such a great experience. Felt like I had a brand new computer, very nice. You shouldn't have a big issue. Can you give us your new specs?

Frogeee

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Hm, I never did that? Maybe it was because I went from an AMD to an AMD? Or??

Zack Fowler

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hey b4rrett50c,

No don't uninstall any drivers or change any software. When you install your new hardware the computer will find it's early drivers for when you first boot it up then you can update them from there.

Points to remember though:

1) Make sure your PC has been off for a good hour before replacing your CPU (you don't want it to be too hot)
2) Clean off your Paste on the CPU and Heat-sink with proper solution and high-quality ear buds or filters

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
If it's windows 10 you probably need to reactivate your copy as it's tied to your motherboard. Maybe windows 8.1 does it too.

However, if I were you, I'd clean install. It makes everything neater. And now is a pretty good occasion.

But, if you don't: Windows will pretty much run on any new hardware.
I once installed an SSD that used to be a Wintel boot-drive in a macbook, booted up the mac to format and install OS X, didn't get the button combo right at "post" and it startede windows. Initialized drivers for a minute or too and bam, Windows 8 was running like a dream. Very impressive.

b4rrett50c

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I just replaced my gpu to a r9 390x and am replacing my cpu to a i5 6600k with a gigabyte motherboard. Thanks for the replies everyone!

b4rrett50c

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

When I start the process of installing windows will I just insert my windows 7 disk and the new bios will just load up and tell me to boot from the disc or am I going to have to do something else to boot it up? I also will probably need to re upgrade to windows 10 correct?

USAFRet

Titan

No.
1. You need to find and save ALL the info that you will need to do this
Username/passwords, serial numbers, license keys, drivers. If you don't have all that, you will kick yourself.

2. You boot from the install DVD, not put it in after.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS