Question What should I do to upgrade my pc?

Jun 14, 2019
I have an 8gb ram stick that runs at 2666mhz but only is able to actually use 6.9 of that because the other 1.1gb is "hardware reserved", and I also wanted to buy a sata 3 ssd to help loading times into Rust. I was going to buy another 8gb ram stick to just have more for higher end games, I was going to go with a vengeance LPX 8gb stick at 3000mhz. Any tips or anything I should know before going through with the purchase of these two new additions?

Don't buy different RAM sticks expecting them to work together. It's best to buy a whole new kit, and you will need a motherboard capable of overclocking to run DDR4 RAM at 3000MHz. If you don't want to buy a whole new kit, then you can buy another stick exactly like the one you already have and it has a good chance of working together.

You will want to reinstall Windows on the SSD for best performance.

Reactions: WillJohnson
Jun 14, 2019
Don't buy different RAM sticks expecting them to work together. It's best to buy a whole new kit, and you will need a motherboard capable of overclocking to run DDR4 RAM at 3000MHz. If you don't want to buy a whole new kit, then you can buy another stick exactly like the one you already have and it has a good chance of working together.

You will want to reinstall Windows on the SSD for best performance.
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't see a reason why the motherboard I currently have wouldn't be able to handle 3000mhz, but how much of a difference would it make if I just bought two of the 3000mhz ddr4 ram sticks?

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't see a reason why the motherboard I currently have wouldn't be able to handle 3000mhz, but how much of a difference would it make if I just bought two of the 3000mhz ddr4 ram sticks?
Don't buy 2 of them, buy a kit with 2x8GB sticks. What are you system specs including motherboard? Only Z and X-series Intel motherbaords can run 3000MHz RAM, and AMD B and X series mobos can.

Jun 14, 2019
Don't buy 2 of them, buy a kit with 2x8GB sticks. What are you system specs including motherboard? Only Z and X-series Intel motherbaords can run 3000MHz RAM, and AMD B and X series mobos can.
I honestly have no clue of the exact specs, it was bought pre-built hence the need for upgrades, also don't know much about computers and where to look at the specs, hence why I came here
[edit] Would that be the processor, as I said, I don't have much knowledge with computers.

Prebuilts typically don't have overclocking motherboards, and DDR4 3000 is used with overclocking. You could use it with a non-overclocking motherboard, but it would only run at DDR4 2666.

Yes, the processor would tell us a little bit. Do this, install Speccy and screenshot the results and host the image on a third-party site such as imgur.com and share the image here.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Jun 14, 2019
Prebuilts typically don't have overclocking motherboards, and DDR4 3000 is used with overclocking. You could use it with a non-overclocking motherboard, but it would only run at DDR4 2666.

Yes, the processor would tell us a little bit. Do this, install Speccy and screenshot the results and host the image on a third-party site such as imgur.com and share the image here.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
Won't let me upload the gyazo link unfortunately

Jun 14, 2019
OS
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5
Raven Ridge 14nm Technology

RAM
7.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 332Mhz (20-19-19-43)

Motherboard
HP 8433 (AM4)

Graphics
HO 27o 91920x1080@60Hz
DELL SR2320L (1920x180@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (HP)
1024 ATI AMD 15DD Graphics (HP)
ForceWare version: 430.86
SLI Disabled
CrossFire Disabled

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT02ACA100 (SATA)

Optical Drives
hp HLDS DVDRW GUD1N

Jun 14, 2019
Okay, looks like a B350 chipset motherboard. You can get 3000MHz and hope it works. Get two sticks in a kit together. You should run them in dual-channel and that will increase performance.

You could use a better GPU also. But first get your RAM in dual-channel.
Dual channel just meaning the ram in two separated pcie slots?

Dual channel just meaning the ram in two separated pcie slots?
Yes, but that is only part of dual-channel, the other is the logical settings in the motherboard BIOS. The motherboard will typically enable it automatically when the RAM sticks are compatible, but that's why it's recommended to get 2 sticks in a kit to make sure they are compatible.

1 stick runs in single-channel and cannot run in dual-channel.
2 sticks will run in dual-channel unless they are not compatible, then they can run in single-channel or not work at all.

AMD Ryzen is known to benefit from dual-channel and fast RAM.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
i actually have this pc it sucks with 8 gigs ram i upgraded to a rx590 8gig and 16gb corsair 3ghz ddr4 and i have a ryzen 5 and the ram works fine u can overclock it with ryzen master if u know what your doing i wont have this mobo much longer or cpu i legit loved this lil case and got a good deal why i bought it but its a good pc specially just getting started cause u can rip it apart and upgrade it i also added ssd for my games

ASK THE COMMUNITY