[SOLVED] What should I do when reusing a hard drive?

Jan 2, 2023
So I am building a PC and numerous videos told me that I should not use the same hard drive as I am switching CPU's (i5-9400 to ryzen 5 5600x)
Is it possible to wipe my current hard drive so I can get a fresh install?

I have 2 hard drives but I am using a dell prebuilt inspiron.

My current PC: Dell inspiron 3671, i5-9400
My new pc (that I am currently building): pcpartpicker.com/user/A380-Fan/saved/XZ3fdC

Last edited:
You can certinly use Windows without activating it, I do this for my server that I need to use windows for, why pay for a license when I rarely use it, and I might end up throwing Linux on it later.

But moving a Windows install to a new PC in my experience has been pretty decent, Windows 10 and 11 are pretty good are getting everything switched over without too much of an issue.

I have ran into a case where I worked on a customers computer where the motherboard died, the replacement had a newer chipset otherwise used the same everything, CPU ram, GPU, Installed the board and used their same windows install and had an issue with the video drivers getting stuck in a boot loop despite the GPU being the same, Did have to force it to boot into Safemode and run DDU to remove and install the same drivers that were on it.

Probably be worth just doing a fresh install personally, especially with the Dell bloat on it anyway.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you use the USB installer, you can go into the Advanced Options and delete all the partitions and perform the install. Of course, make sure that you have all information you want off that drive backed up first.

It is unlikely that the OEM (Dell) licensing is going to transfer as activated on the new machine. Aside from that aspect, if you choose to sell the Dell down the road it would be beneficial to have activated OS.

edit- as a side note, IDK if the Dell still has an optical drive, but you can typically connect a HDD/SSD to that connector in a pinch.

USAFRet

Titan
Full wipe and reinstall.

This does NOT cover the licensing/activation, just the actual operation.
Coming from a prebuilt Dell system, you may need to purchase a new Windows license.

If you're building up a whole new system, simply sell the Dell with its original drive and OS.
Use that to buy a new drive and valid Windows 11 license.

Jan 2, 2023
Full wipe and reinstall.

This does NOT cover the licensing/activation, just the actual operation.
Coming from a prebuilt Dell system, you may need to purchase a new Windows license.

If you're building up a whole new system, simply sell the Dell with its original drive and OS.
Use that to buy a new drive and valid Windows 11 license.
So basically, I should just buy a completely new HDD/SSD instead of wiping my current one and get a new windows license?

So I am building a PC and numerous videos told me that I should not use the same hard drive as I am switching CPU's (i5-9400 to ryzen 5 5600x)
I have 2 hard drives but I am using a dell prebuilt inspiron.
Have only single drive (SSD) connected, while installing windows.
Clean target drive before install.
Use diskpart clean method. Boot from windows installation media and press Shift+F10 to open command prompt.
Connect secondary storage drive only after windows has already been installed.

ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg

Jan 2, 2023
Have only single drive (SSD) connected, while installing windows.
Clean target drive before install.
Use diskpart clean method. Boot from windows installation media and press Shift+F10 to open command prompt.
Connect secondary storage drive only after windows has already been installed.

ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg
I woudld do that but I can only use one hard drive at a time, and I don't have an SSD

TRENDING THREADS