What should I do with a monitor that i believe only supports vga?

dafko_m

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-923nw-lcd-monitor-19-series/specs/ this is the monitor that I am currently using,and this is the motherboard I plan to buy:https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-D3H-rev-10#kf.I also plant to buy the gtx 1060 however I am aware that both the motherboard and the gpu support everything but the vga and (from I could understand)thats the only thing my monitor has.Now my question is what could I do, could I use a converter?or are there any other methods so that I could use this monitor with that motherboard and gpu.

Solution
Buy a new monitor. That Samsung is 1440x900, one of the early widescreen attempts still using HD VGA LCD. I had one. It was good for my 8800GT, but moving upto a 660ti and availability of 1080p, my $100 Asus 24" 1920x1080 60Hz LED was a massive change in crispness and clarity. That Samsung looked so muddy by comparison and simply will not do a gtx1060 justice. At 900p you'll also find many games that don't have that specific resolution as it's generally an analog size, digital sizes preferring 1080p native.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Since you are installing a GTX 1060, you can disregard the outputs from the motherboard (which does appear to have a VGA output). You will need an active digital to analog converter in order to use your old monitor. Depending on the outputs of the GTX 1060, you will need either a DVI-D to VGA active converter, HDMI to VGA active converter, or a DisplayPort to VGA active converter.

-Wolf sends

An active adapter will work. However, it's probably time to budget for a new monitor. I know I can immediately see the difference between a monitor using a VGA connection versus a digital connection (DVI, HDMI or DP). VGA looks fuzzy to me. You're not getting you money's worth out of the new components, if stick with that old crappy monitor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Buy a new monitor. That Samsung is 1440x900, one of the early widescreen attempts still using HD VGA LCD. I had one. It was good for my 8800GT, but moving upto a 660ti and availability of 1080p, my $100 Asus 24" 1920x1080 60Hz LED was a massive change in crispness and clarity. That Samsung looked so muddy by comparison and simply will not do a gtx1060 justice. At 900p you'll also find many games that don't have that specific resolution as it's generally an analog size, digital sizes preferring 1080p native.

Solution