What should I do with my Mesh office chair?

Nov 29, 2018
I eat at my desk, and there are some crumbs and tiny spills embedded into the mesh seat cushion. It's nothing major but it's enough to be visible. Cleaning it would be extremely difficult (maybe impossible at this point).

(EDIT: I actually have a bit of a phobia about using harsh chemicals like bleach)

I was thinking of reupholstering it-- putting some cloth over the mesh cushion-- but would this cause the crumbs/spills to produce bacteria in the original mesh?

Any suggestion on what to do with a chair like this?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
vacuum for one.

bleach and water mist will sterilize the area if you decide to cover after the removal of any particulates.

IDK what bleach may do to the mesh or the foam but as your are recovering it... a UV light will sterilize too.

Nov 29, 2018

Thank you. I have done the vacuming and scrubbed the surface with a wet paper towel and small amount of dish soap. I hate to use something like bleach...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

how ya feel about white vinegar? I have cats and I prefer vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting, but it is acidic so dilute 50-50 and test.

You don't want to use bleach, it will most likely discolor the chair. The chair vendor should have cleaning instructions, if not on their website, then a call to their customer support may help. A soft brush should be good to get stuff out that the vacuum may not pick up.

So long as you've vacuumed it thoroughly and cleaned it with some water and soap, I would think you'd be fine. Just do this periodically. You could always wipe it down with some cleaning wipes from Clorox or whatever you prefer. Lastly, you can always give it a spritz of Febreze for a fresh scent once done.