What should I do with this PC?

loganmcfar

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
I don't know what to do. Heres my rig...

CPU: AMD FX 8320
GPU: ASUS R9 270 with 2gb of vram (not the 270x)
PSU: Corsair CX 600
MOBO: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.9 GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
RAM: I have 8 gigs of ram, idk the manufacturer
CASE: DEEPCOOL STEAMCASTLE http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2014-06/9_889.shtml

Ok, heres my problem. As you read that, you probably thought, "damn, this kid got an old ass PC." And you're right. It runs everything i want it to run, but not always at 60 fps.I play games like fortnite, rocket league, GTA 5, and CSGO. The thing is, my computer is very old. I got this thing 4 years ago and haven't had a single upgrade on any of the parts. Sure I clean it every 2 months, but no switching of parts. I use this computer almost every single day and play games when I do. My graphics card I think is overheating as well. I idle around 54C in the summer and when I try to play easy games like fortnite, the temps rev up to 70C-77C. I even hit 80 once and i got so scared i shut my computer off. My FX 8320 sits around 40C when playing games so thats fine, but my GPU is really scaring the heck outta me. I think if I just change the GPU, it will bottleneck my old ass rig. What should I do? Financially, I'm not in the best situation, and with bitcoin ****** GPU prices *******, I'm not too ecstatic about buying a GPU right now. So what should I do? Is everything fine and I should keep my PC? Should I upgrade my whole PC or just the graphics card? Is 54C idle temp completely fine? I need answers PLEASE! Thanks for reading my rant, and please leave your opinion down below. Thanks!

Moderator edit for language.

Solution
70-80 under load is perfectly safe. I wouldnt worry or take action until you see around 85C, even then, under 90C is regarded as "safe"

EDIT: GPU temps.

RealBeast

Titan
I would use it as is for now and start saving for a new build, perhaps a new Ryzen build with a nice GPU (prices seem to be moderating and we're all hoping the bottom drops out of mining). You should be okay with 80C on the GPU, just try to keep it down the best you can.

RealBeast

Titan
He seems to be referring to his GPU temps there not his CPU. 80C is okay (more or less) for a GPU temp at max stress, obviously not so much for a CPU. :lol:

loganmcfar

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

yeah i was talking about my GPU reaching around 54C idle and 70C-77C while gaming. Sorry for the mix up, but thank you both for your inputs!