Himmler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I am currently in the market looking to buy a top of the line gaming PC. My budget is about $4000. I pretty much have everything that I need for it, except one problem. I cannot figure out what CPU I should get. I am leaning towards to FX-53, but I have read that AMD will be making CPU's that pass the 3.0Ghz mark in the 4th quarter of this year. Should I wait or should I just go ahead and get the FX-53? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait if you like, upgrade if you like, it's really your choice! If you like saving money, wait as long as possible, and upgrade less often. For example, if you buy a new system every 3 years instead of every 2 years, in 6 years you'll have bought only 2 systems rather than 3, that's saving money!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
There is no major reason to wait now, but if you hold off for a few months, there will be lots of reasons to wait then.
Socket 939 hasn't made much dif for the FX so stick with 754.
New tech like PCIexp will screw things up for the next 6 to 10 months, so try to avoid it. The same will be true of DDR2 and BTX.
Faster chips will always be right around the corner.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
You can build one heck of a puter for $1200 to $1500 and buy some gold coins or savings bonds to put in your lock box, he he.:>)