[SOLVED] What should I do?

Jun 29, 2019
I got a dad's friend to build my PC back in 2016, since I knew nothing about PCs back then, I got it as a Christmas present. Now in 2019 I see a lot of mistakes he did. For example, I have an ATX motherboard B150 from Gigabyte with 4 RAM slots, but it uses only one slot with an 8GB 2133MHz stick so I lose about 15% of my maximum performance. I also have an i5 6400 which bottlenecks my GTX 1060 in all new games, I used MSI Afterburner and found out that while my GPU Usage is at 75-85%, my CPU Usage is at a full 100. This PC doesn't use more than 350W, but I got a 700W Deepcool PSU, so I can upgrade. Now what I'm asking you guys is to tell me what to do. I have 400$ reserved for my upgrade and would like 16GB of RAM, but don't know if I should buy new modules or upgrade what I have and I have seen these Intel Core QKYN CPUs that cost about 190$ and have 4 cores/8 threads and have similar specs to an i7 7700. Of course I could just lower the Video Settings, but I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 and fear that I wouldn't be able to play it even on lowest.

EDIT: FULL SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 4c4t 2.9GHz Base-3.2GHz Turbo Boost, but somehow it's always at 3.1 and Turbo goes all the way to 3.3
Motherboard: Gigabyte B150-HD3
RAM: Kingston ValueRam 1x8GB 2133MHz, don't know the timings
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 AMP EDITION
SSD: ZOTAC 120GB, don't know the exact model
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB 64MB Cache 720RPM
PSU: Deepcool DA700
CPU COOLER: Deepcool HTPC-200
CASE: Zalman R1 w/4 fans

And last thing, yes the QKYN is an ES CPU, but I don't know why it should be avoided. Here's link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&CatId=708042&SearchText=intel+qkyn&trafficChannel=main&SortType=default&spellChecked=y&page=1&switch_new_app=y

Last edited:
You basically have 2 choices, you can either change out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to use something like a Ryzen 3000 series, or you can buy a 2x8GB RAM combo and add a i7-7700 or i7-6700k. Both will be an improvement and costs will be almost identical. I wouldn't recommend going with the Core QKYN as those are engineering samples and wouldn't be guaranteed to work with your motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Always list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It's better for comprehension and subsequent responses from the users in the community.

I must ask, though, where are you getting the information about the 15% loss with that single stick of ram?

PC Tailor

Judicious
Ambassador
Intel Core QKYN CPUs that cost about 190$ and have 4 cores/8 threads and have similar specs to an i7 7700
Can you post a link? I'm concerned that these are ES processors, which should always be avoided.

don't know if I should buy new modules or upgrade what I have
It's a 50/50 gamble. Best bet is to buy a whole new pack as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, and the last thing you want to do is to buy a new module, mix it with the old, to find they don't work. Not saying it never does, just it's a gamble.

Obviously opt for 2x8GB over 1x16GB (not sure where your 15% is coming from).

Also what Deepcool model PSU is it?

but I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 and fear that I wouldn't be able to play it even on lowest.
Probably no point speculating at this point, required components are usually over inflated before release.

You basically have 2 choices, you can either change out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to use something like a Ryzen 3000 series, or you can buy a 2x8GB RAM combo and add a i7-7700 or i7-6700k. Both will be an improvement and costs will be almost identical. I wouldn't recommend going with the Core QKYN as those are engineering samples and wouldn't be guaranteed to work with your motherboard.

Jun 29, 2019
Can you post a link? I'm concerned that these are ES processors, which should always be avoided.

It's a 50/50 gamble. Best bet is to buy a whole new pack as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, and the last thing you want to do is to buy a new module, mix it with the old, to find they don't work. Not saying it never does, just it's a gamble.

Obviously opt for 2x8GB over 1x16GB (not sure where your 15% is coming from).

Also what Deepcool model PSU is it?

Probably no point speculating at this point, required components are usually over inflated before release.
I don't mean I don't get 15% of the RAM, I meant in-game FPS. Here's an example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmElSVy4U8

Jun 29, 2019
And what about the remaining queries?

Can you post a link to the processor? I believe these are ES processors, which are illegal to sell.
What deepcool model PSU is it?
I already said wrote when I edited, but maybe there's a bug so it's a Deepcool DA700 and yes the QKYN is an ES processor, but I don't really understand what those are, btw here's a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=intel+qkyn&trafficChannel=main&SortType=default&spellChecked=y&page=1&switch_new_app=y

I already said wrote when I edited, but maybe there's a bug so it's a Deepcool DA700 and yes the QKYN is an ES processor, but I don't really understand what those are, btw here's a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=intel+qkyn&trafficChannel=main&SortType=default&spellChecked=y&page=1&switch_new_app=y
An engineering sample are early, but stable, silicon that is sent to companies to validate their products with the new CPUs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_sample

According to Intel, ES are their property and cannot be resold. While you can buy one, it isn't advisable due to legality and stability in production motherboards.

ASK THE COMMUNITY