[SOLVED] What should I do?

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I got a dad's friend to build my PC back in 2016, since I knew nothing about PCs back then, I got it as a Christmas present. Now in 2019 I see a lot of mistakes he did. For example, I have an ATX motherboard B150 from Gigabyte with 4 RAM slots, but it uses only one slot with an 8GB 2133MHz stick so I lose about 15% of my maximum performance. I also have an i5 6400 which bottlenecks my GTX 1060 in all new games, I used MSI Afterburner and found out that while my GPU Usage is at 75-85%, my CPU Usage is at a full 100. This PC doesn't use more than 350W, but I got a 700W Deepcool PSU, so I can upgrade. Now what I'm asking you guys is to tell me what to do. I have 400$ reserved for my upgrade and would like 16GB of RAM, but don't know if I should buy new modules or upgrade what I have and I have seen these Intel Core QKYN CPUs that cost about 190$ and have 4 cores/8 threads and have similar specs to an i7 7700. Of course I could just lower the Video Settings, but I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 and fear that I wouldn't be able to play it even on lowest.

EDIT: FULL SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 4c4t 2.9GHz Base-3.2GHz Turbo Boost, but somehow it's always at 3.1 and Turbo goes all the way to 3.3
Motherboard: Gigabyte B150-HD3
RAM: Kingston ValueRam 1x8GB 2133MHz, don't know the timings
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 AMP EDITION
SSD: ZOTAC 120GB, don't know the exact model
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB 64MB Cache 720RPM
PSU: Deepcool DA700
CPU COOLER: Deepcool HTPC-200
CASE: Zalman R1 w/4 fans

And last thing, yes the QKYN is an ES CPU, but I don't know why it should be avoided. Here's link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...efault&spellChecked=y&page=1&switch_new_app=y

Last edited:
Solution
You basically have 2 choices, you can either change out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to use something like a Ryzen 3000 series, or you can buy a 2x8GB RAM combo and add a i7-7700 or i7-6700k. Both will be an improvement and costs will be almost identical. I wouldn't recommend going with the Core QKYN as those are engineering samples and wouldn't be guaranteed to work with your motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Always list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It's better for comprehension and subsequent responses from the users in the community.

I must ask, though, where are you getting the information about the 15% loss with that single stick of ram?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Intel Core QKYN CPUs that cost about 190$ and have 4 cores/8 threads and have similar specs to an i7 7700
Can you post a link? I'm concerned that these are ES processors, which should always be avoided.

don't know if I should buy new modules or upgrade what I have
It's a 50/50 gamble. Best bet is to buy a whole new pack as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, and the last thing you want to do is to buy a new module, mix it with the old, to find they don't work. Not saying it never does, just it's a gamble.

Obviously opt for 2x8GB over 1x16GB (not sure where your 15% is coming from).

Also what Deepcool model PSU is it?

but I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 and fear that I wouldn't be able to play it even on lowest.
Probably no point speculating at this point, required components are usually over inflated before release.

You basically have 2 choices, you can either change out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to use something like a Ryzen 3000 series, or you can buy a 2x8GB RAM combo and add a i7-7700 or i7-6700k. Both will be an improvement and costs will be almost identical. I wouldn't recommend going with the Core QKYN as those are engineering samples and wouldn't be guaranteed to work with your motherboard.

Solution

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Can you post a link? I'm concerned that these are ES processors, which should always be avoided.

It's a 50/50 gamble. Best bet is to buy a whole new pack as RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold, and the last thing you want to do is to buy a new module, mix it with the old, to find they don't work. Not saying it never does, just it's a gamble.

Obviously opt for 2x8GB over 1x16GB (not sure where your 15% is coming from).

Also what Deepcool model PSU is it?

Probably no point speculating at this point, required components are usually over inflated before release.
I don't mean I don't get 15% of the RAM, I meant in-game FPS. Here's an example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmElSVy4U8

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I already said wrote when I edited, but maybe there's a bug so it's a Deepcool DA700 and yes the QKYN is an ES processor, but I don't really understand what those are, btw here's a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...efault&spellChecked=y&page=1&switch_new_app=y
An engineering sample are early, but stable, silicon that is sent to companies to validate their products with the new CPUs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_sample

According to Intel, ES are their property and cannot be resold. While you can buy one, it isn't advisable due to legality and stability in production motherboards.