What should I get for a light gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Peck

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
I am stuck between a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14(i5 4210U 1.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GT 840M 2 GB VRAM) or Lenovo Y50(i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GT 860M 2 GB VRAM). I know that the Y50 has better gaming performance, but I also need a laptop that will last me at least 5 years. Therefore durability is near the top of my list as needs, as I am a student. I also am a bit skeptical of the Y50 battery life, as I am not sure 4 hours is enough for a student. I also want to do some gaming, specifically GTA V, Skyrim, and Battlefield 3. I don't mind medium settings either. Also is having a touchscreen a huge plus on Windows, as the Yoga has one? Right now these laptops are at a similar price point on eBay. Thanks for your help and have a great day.

Solution
If you want a laptop that will handle gaming, you will need to sacrifice battery life, the gaming class CPUs and video cards use more power than the low voltage stff the budget and low power systems use. Medium settings at the games you want means an NVidia 860m class card if not more.

Y50 is a known quantity for a budget gaming system, Yoga is more for non-gaming use. If you want sturdy, you need to look into the business class laptops like Lenovo T series, HP EliteBooks, things like that.
If you want a laptop that will handle gaming, you will need to sacrifice battery life, the gaming class CPUs and video cards use more power than the low voltage stff the budget and low power systems use. Medium settings at the games you want means an NVidia 860m class card if not more.

Y50 is a known quantity for a budget gaming system, Yoga is more for non-gaming use. If you want sturdy, you need to look into the business class laptops like Lenovo T series, HP EliteBooks, things like that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.