[SOLVED] What should I go for upgrading my build? Intel or Ryzen

xSymph

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
I am upgrading my cpu and am deciding if I want to get a Ryzen 3700 or an i7-10700. I mostly play games on it and I don't know if Ryzen would be the right choice. I have a Intel i5 8600k but am getting a mAtx case so I already have to get a motherboard anyways.

Solution
Definitely Ryzen. Once you get a raise or a promotion, you can easily afford the higher CPUs such as Zen2-3950X and the entire Zen 3 lineup due to AM4. Intel kinda sucks nowadays. You'll have to spend so much just to upgrade -- but luckily we have AMD to get rid off that scammy business model.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @xSymph

How much do you want to spend as our answers will entirely depend on your budget. Both the 3700 and 10700 are great CPU's and are close in performance.

3700(x) vs 10700 in 8 games. While the 10700 is between 5-10 FPS faster overall, it's more expensive. If you are set on those 2 CPU's and don't care about price, the 10700 is faster. If you have a budget and still want a beast of a CPU, the 3700 is a better deal. The extra money you'd save going with a Ryzen, could then go towards a quality PSU or GPU.

PC PartsPicker - US Site
PC PartsPicker - UK Site

Play around with builds for both CPU's and see what prices look like for systems. Once you find a build you like, link to it so we can drool over it and maybe offer suggestions. (Don't worry, they'll show compatible parts for the different parts you pick & choose, taking the guesswork out of wondering if Part A works with Part C & so on)

Last edited:

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Definitely Ryzen. Once you get a raise or a promotion, you can easily afford the higher CPUs such as Zen2-3950X and the entire Zen 3 lineup due to AM4. Intel kinda sucks nowadays. You'll have to spend so much just to upgrade -- but luckily we have AMD to get rid off that scammy business model.

Solution

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Ryzen is better value for money indisputably.
Admittedly Intel has the bragging rights but only 5-10fps ahead of AMD even at top comparisons.
Like Mrgr74 said, save money to put towards a better GPU.
I always go for a 1/3 ratio.
I always pair a £100 CPU with max £300 GPU and so on if we're talking about a gaming system.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Ryzen is better value for money indisputably.
Admittedly Intel has the bragging rights but only 5-10fps ahead of AMD even at top comparisons.
Like Mrgr74 said, save money to put towards a better GPU.
I always go for a 1/3 ratio.
I always pair a £100 CPU with max £300 GPU and so on if we're talking about a gaming system.
Agree. 5-10 FPS is nothing compared to being able to watch a 1080p stream, with another 4K video playing on YouTube and playing a game in the same time.

You may ask, who tf does that. And reality is, a lot of people.. who's got Ryzen.

For a gaming focused build Intel is still the best and will provide the better frame rates period! But the 3700X is also an exceptional CPU for the price and if it was between a 10700 or 3700X, I would go 3700X.

On the other hand if money was not a deciding factor, then I would go 10700K which is the unlocked version of the 10700 and this CPU overclocks extremely well with 5 GHz being very easy to achieve and this pushes the performance up even further, so anywhere between 5 and 30 FPS depending on game at 1080p and of course on the GPU being used. If high refresh rate gaming is important to you again at 1080p the 10700K will do the better job. Also with the Z490 platform, it will take the future Rocket Lake CPU and will be Gen 4 PCIe compliant.

Bottom, line if you are gaming at 1080p high refresh, look to Intel 10600K/10700K and if 1440p, 4K gaming then Ryzen will be the better option and provide better value.

Gamers Nexus 10600K article covering gaming with results against all Ryzen CPU's in gaming.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3592-intel-i5-10600k-cpu-review-benchmarks-ryzen-5-3600-et-al

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Pure gaming, the 10600k is the way to go, ideally, if you have to buy now. I am not aware though, of many Z490 boards, in M-ATX. With the 3700x, you get better multi-threaded support, and more M-ATX options, for B550. It's also a good deal cheaper, allowing for money to be used elsewhere.