What should I have to purchase to upgrade to 4k gaming?

Apr 13, 2018
Hi mates, I would like to know which components from my setup I have to change in order to play 4k games, I want to purchase a gtx 1080/ti, so in this point I've made my decision, but besides the gpu, what do I need to upgrade? I would like to play games in 60 fps if it's possible. This is my build:

Intel i5-6600K 3.5Ghz
Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 16GB 2x8GB CL12
Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80 Plus Bronze Modular
Samsung 750 Evo SSD Series 250GB
Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB GDRR5
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i v2
MSI Z170A PC Mate
NZXT S340 USB 3.0
LG 27UD68-W 27" LED 4K

I really appreciate this info mates. Thank U so much! :)

Solution
Can't tell you when exactly this soon will happen. Probably announcement in summer, but availability might be a bit later.
If you didn't had decent GPU, i'd say go and get 1080ti now. but since you have OK GPU that can do even 4K on medium settings, why to buy something 2 years old (pascal was released 2 years ago) when there is something new with known new tech that will not be available for the current gen GPUs.
But that's my opinion.
your system is mostly fine for 60FPS for now even with upcoming GPUs. As i mentioned earlier, a better CPU wouldn't hurt, but not must at this point.

robert.sandru

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
You need to be a bit more precise about the games you like to play.

Modern, graphically heavy games will not render at 4K/60Hz on a 1080Ti irrespective of the CPU. You will either have to reduce details, shadows, filtering, AA or a combination of those.

That may suit you or not. Setting those games to "Maximum quality" and expecting 60fps or more is unrealistic.

Graphically simple games or older ones will run at 4K on many recent cards including the 1070, 1080 and 1080Ti.

^^ AA on 27" 4K monitor is kinda stupid to begin with XD
OP didn't mention maxed out settings. And if he is a reasonable person he understands that lowering settings just a bit, have practically no affect on the visual quality in most games.

I wouldn't buy the 1080Ti just for the recently announced ray tracing fun that is coming with next gen cards that are just few months away and will be in the same price category.

robert.sandru

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

I disagree, but we all tend to "notice" certain rendering aspects more than others. I always notice the jaggies (even on very high DPI phone displays) but that's just me... so AA is high on *my* list. May not be the case for the OP. ;)

Apr 13, 2018
That’s the point. I’ve purchased a 4k monitor and I want to play 2017-2018 games in it (FC5, ACorigins, gta, mafias, this kind of sandbox) In the proper resolution. It doesn’t have to be in ultra settings. However, if you say that a next gen of cpus is coming out soon, I’d better should wait, no? And another question: the rest of the components will work fine for that kind of gpu (ram, power supply...)Thank u

Can't tell you when exactly this soon will happen. Probably announcement in summer, but availability might be a bit later.
If you didn't had decent GPU, i'd say go and get 1080ti now. but since you have OK GPU that can do even 4K on medium settings, why to buy something 2 years old (pascal was released 2 years ago) when there is something new with known new tech that will not be available for the current gen GPUs.
But that's my opinion.
your system is mostly fine for 60FPS for now even with upcoming GPUs. As i mentioned earlier, a better CPU wouldn't hurt, but not must at this point.

Solution