[SOLVED] What should I know about setting up WiFi in University Residence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1337cookie

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
So I just recently moved into residence at University and I brought my gaming PC with me. However, my PC doesn’t have any wireless capability, and I don’t have access to an ethernet cable in my dorm, so I’m going to buy a PCIe WiFi card. But being that I am not very knowledgeable on this topic, I wanted to get some advice before I made any purchases.

So my first question is, will I encounter any range issues? I don’t know how the WiFi signal is being broadcasted inside the dorm, but my phone can pick up the signal just fine. I’m just worried about the 30 feet range that I saw many WiFi cards had.

Secondly, will I have to download drivers for the card to work? And the TP Link Archer T4E AC1200 card I was looking at said in order to work with Windows 10, I had to upgrade to 17025 insider preview build. Do I need to download stuff? If so, how can I do it without internet?

Finally, what should I know about using University WiFi? I know that the internet in the dorm is using enterprise security or something, so I can’t play online games with it, but can I at least download games to play in singleplayer? Will Steam cloud sync work? And there is also a campus-wide WiFi that doesn’t have this restriction, but will my computer be able to pick up the signal if the range of the card is supposed to be 30 feet?

Once again, I’m not very knowledgeable on this topic, so I’m probably misunderstanding stuff. And if you need more information, like my PC specs, ask and I’ll try to provide it.

Solution
Honestly, I'd talk to the front office. They have an IT dept. that would be better able to answer all of your questions as they would know the EXACT details of the wifi the university used. What we provided would just be guesswork, regardless of how accurate it might be. They would be able to walk you through what you would need to buy & how to install it/connect to it/range/limitations etc.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Honestly, I'd talk to the front office. They have an IT dept. that would be better able to answer all of your questions as they would know the EXACT details of the wifi the university used. What we provided would just be guesswork, regardless of how accurate it might be. They would be able to walk you through what you would need to buy & how to install it/connect to it/range/limitations etc.

Solution
Agreed with the above, talk to the IT department at the school (most times its students working so they know exactly what you are experiencing).
Try to get a wifi card with dedicated antennas if possible, the kind that are mounted on their own pedestal instead of on the card itself.
Most cards should have basic functionality without drivers.
I find it odd that your dorm would block access to playing online games.

a1337cookie

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
Alright, I’ll ask the IT department. I posted this here because I thought that all University WiFi was similar and generalizations could be made. Like maybe someone who’s lived in residence before knew how it all worked and it was just common knowledge. But thank you for your help guys, I appreciate it.

The res hall I lived in had wifi and ethernet in every room, full access to anything you wanted to use it for (though anything illegal got you flagged with a DMCA and lost privileges)
All you had to to was sign in with your student ID and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS