What should I look for in TV tuner card?

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I need a TV tuner for my newly built PC.

Currently - have an i7 920 - Giga x58 UD4P MOBO - 9800GTX+ Graphic card.

Looking to set up dual screen monitors - with 1 old Dell vga monitor - and a new ASUS LCD to be delivered.

I'm going to hook up the ASUS monitor directly to High Def cable box output via HDMI - but would also like a digital - or possibly analog signal to a TV tuner ( coming from the cable box output to television / split to PC ) so I have the option to view a TV program from either monitor.

1) I see I have the option of - USB - or - hardware direct my MOBO?

Are there any pros - or cons to going one way or the other? Picture quality / reliability / otherwise?

2) If I go the expansion slot - is there a performance difference between various interfaces to make one more preferential to another.

PCI-e x 1 - VS - pci - VS - anything else?

3) Is there something in particular I should be looking to look for - or - avoid alltogether? Or anything I missed that I should be aware of in choosing a TV tuner?

This hardware / function is a new thing to me to run TV through a PC - and I haven't found much to direct me what I should be looking for. Any options appreciated.

Thanks

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
One other thing,

I'm price conscious on this particular item. I'd much prefer a decent picture and a cheap price - vs a 100+ dollar Tuner card - and a superb picture quality. All things being equal - I'd love to get a high def card. But b/c of price - if I can get away with a $30.00 card and meet my needs - I'd go that route for the time being.

Still looking for all opinions on the subject I can get to make an informed decision.

Thanks again

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

My cable box has a HDMI output for High Def viewing - and my Monitor has a Hihg Def cable input. I think I can hook them up together and that it should work ok. I'm waiting for the monitor and TV tuner before I can know for sure.

Right now - it looks like I'm down to 2 models I'm looking at

1)
A46-4114-main-3.jpg

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2947542&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs

With Remote for $109.00

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100041

Similar Model for $59.00 with no Remote

The choice depends on which setup would work - and how high I the channels go in the AverMedia tuner - which I can't seem to find anywhere. I'm either going to run a signal direct from Comcast feedline ( To take advantage of PIP - would likely need a Remote )- or Direct from Comcast Cable box output ( no PIP - or 2 tuners use - but I can view all channels from my Cable service and use cable box remote. )

I haven't decided b/c I don't know if eithher / or both setups would work as I hope they will - or wil one of the options be D.O.A. b/c I'm thinking these Video cards can do something beyond what they can actually do. This PC component is completely new to me so I'm trying to get as much accurte info as possible that I can make a good purchase decision.