[SOLVED] What Should I Look For When Buying Water cooling Parts?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
So, in my next build, I've decided to ditch AIO's on my CPU and GPU and go with custom loops. I know the basics of things to buy, Pump Reservoir Tubing ETC. But what i need to know is the finer details. Like What size tubing to buy? What size fittings to buy? How do i even tell what size the fittings are? How do i Actually mount the tubing to the fittings? If there's any water cooling expert out there, I'd appreciate an answer to these questions. Thanks!

Solution

Yes, but also be aware that flexible tubing and hardline tubing cannot use the same fittings - they each have specific fittings to be used with the correct tubing. This has everything to do with the type of tubing being used with the fittings, all should be compatible with any watercooling component (G1/4 thread...

Lutfij

Titan
You first need to read through the watercooling sticky, linked in my sig, t bring you up to speed with what you need to look for. From there you can look at individual brands or parts and pick parts according to performance or aesthetics or both.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Both tubing and fitting size is defined by ID and OD (inside diameter and outside diameter). You will need 2 fittings for each component (inlet and outlet).

While the sticky is a bit old, the same content still applies. Some of the components used as example are rather outdated, but the concepts remain exactly the same.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

So, just make sure the fitting and tubing has the same inner diameter and outer diameter?

If you're asking this question you're probably a beginner at assembling a custom loop cooling setup. While looking at that water-cooling sticky gives you some good information (even if products illustrated are dated) I don't think it will be half as informative as actual experience, which can be expensive. But the really really good thing about the internet is you can benefit from others' experiences.

I'd strongly suggest you go look at people's 'build log' videos on you tube. There are several channels and while many of them are indeed dedicated to pushing product that others might dislike they can be honest about the errors they made and the problems that resulted. Their intent is to have you learn from their mistakes, and they can be disastrous when coolant leaks out onto your $800 GPU.

You'll also get tips about how to go about doing things like filling and draining the loop and parts (usually not included in the kits to keep cost down) to add to your system that make maintenance easier. And yes, custom loops require maintenance.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Yes, but also be aware that flexible tubing and hardline tubing cannot use the same fittings - they each have specific fittings to be used with the correct tubing. This has everything to do with the type of tubing being used with the fittings, all should be compatible with any watercooling component (G1/4 thread, not to be confused with fitting ID or OD).

And yes, research and learn on your own; see what is out there and make sure it all makes sense before buying. Understand what you need before you buy (or blindly take the advice from someone on a forum)...you may or may not be getting information from a knowledgeable source.

Solution

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Alright thanks. I'll do some research and see what i can find.