Question What should i overclock my CPU to? (First Build)

Dec 4, 2019
I have a Ryzen 5 3600X and a MSI X570 A PRO. Should i overclock? And if so, what should i overclock to?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 3000 pretty much has no overclocking headroom.
Enable Precision Boost Overdrive and the Auto OC, and call it a day... but I wonder how well your current motherboard is holding up.
The VRM heatsink on that model has been found be quite inefficient.

Dec 2, 2019
Ryzen 3000 pretty much has no overclocking headroom.
Enable Precision Boost Overdrive and the Auto OC, and call it a day... but I wonder how well your current motherboard is holding up.
The VRM heatsink on that model has been found be quite inefficient.
With the same motherboard and CPU (only without X variant) I got 90 degrees while gaming without OC. Stock cooler tho.
Had to disable these options to get decent temps.
So I guess need good cooling for overclocking, if even possible

So I guess need good cooling for overclocking, if even possible

That's very true. Stock cooler is fine if running stock.

BTW, when using PBO don't look at clock speeds to validate performance. Look at benchmarks. Ryzen 3000 are much more like GPU's in that processor clock speed is load and thermally dependent, so it will bounce around quite a bit in use. So looking at BM results help you know if you've got it tweaked.

A good one is Cinebench 20 as it takes a little bit to run so heats up the CPU enough to include thermal performance in the results. It's also somewhat repeatable and it's relevant, meaning not purely synthetic.

It also has a single thread as well as multi-thread score. You can do things that improve multi-thread but kill single-thread, which is the most important performance mode needed for games.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 2, 2019
That's very true. Stock cooler is fine if running stock.

BTW, when using PBO don't look at clock speeds to validate performance. Look at benchmarks. Ryzen 3000 are much more like GPU's in that processor clock speed is load and thermally dependent, so it will bounce around quite a bit in use. So looking at BM results help you know if you've got it tweaked.

A good one is Cinebench 20 as it takes a little bit to run so heats up the CPU enough to include thermal performance in the results. It's also somewhat repeatable and it's relevant, meaning not purely synthetic.

It also has a single thread as well as multi-thread score. You can do things that improve multi-thread but kill single-thread, which is the most important performance mode needed for games.
Thanks for the info. Will try Cinebench out and see if it makes me any wiser ^^