[SOLVED] What should i pick VA, ISP or TN

jonathanvw

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new 240hz of 280hz 1080p (27") monitor but i can't decide which one to pick.

First of all i'm hardcore FPS gamer :D - most of the games that i play are COD, CSGO & BF.
On occasional basis i play games like Anno 1800, Ghost recon, GTA, ... etc but for the most of the hours that i game i play FPS games.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming PLUS
Processor: AMD R9 3900x 3.8 Ghz ~ OC 4.5 Ghz WC EKWB EK-Kit Classic RGB S240
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE 8G
RAM: G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-3466
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB SSD
SSD: 500 GB Samsung EVO 850
HDD: 500 GB kingston
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000G2 (80PLUS Gold)
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Now with that out of the way i can't decide if i should go for a VA , ISP or TN panel...
Is one of these panels better for FPS gaming or are they all the same for FPS games?
I did read alot of posts on the internet, but still i don't know which panel or monitor i should choose. All of the panels have there pro's and cons.
So that's why i'm here, can someone help me decide for which panel i best should go? Any expert over here ? :D

I looked up a few panels/ monitors, listed up below:

ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27 - IPS / 280hz / 1080p
Alienware AW2720HF 27 - IPS / 240 / 1080p
Zowie XL2740 27 - TN / 240 / 1080p
Samsung Curved LC27RG50F - VA / 240 / 1080p

Currently i want to go for the ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM and most of the comments are good over this panel/monitor with a few drawbacks...
The brightness isn't always the best depending on the settings u use. But as a FPS gamer for me the most imported part is alot of frames and a high refresh rate. So that's why currently i'm looking to buy this monitor.

What do you guys think i should do?
Or if you have other monitors that you would recommend let me know.

Thx for the help guys/Girls!

Cheers

Jonathan

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
TN is the best for speed, but it lacks the best color reproduction. not the biggest of a deal with super fast frames, but it's a con for sure.

IPS, is a much slower screen but has better colors. these are better for professional work rather than gaming.

VA is right in the middle. it can have fast response rates and hz while still giving decent colors.

i chose a VA panel for myself after reading a ton of reviews and so on. i'm very happy with my choice though it was more screen than i needed :)

i have not look up any of these monitors reviews but i'd favor a VA panel or a TN panel over an IPS one for sure.

Although the post Math Geek put in about the panels is true in general, the high end displays don't fully match those qualities, the IPS panels in the high end monitors are pretty much as good for motion and response times as the TN and VA screens. If you are looking at something in the 100-200 range, then yes IPS is not as ideal for gaming as TN of VA if goal is blur and response time (although I don't see any issues with a 5ms IPS display that I use in games at 75hz ). If you are looking at high end monitors, those difference you don't need to worry much about if you don't care about cost.

If I was picking screens in that price range I would not get any of the ones you have linked, I'd get a 1440p 120-144hz screen at 27" or higher size vs a 1080 screen with a super high refresh rate, say like this one https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG279QM-Compatible-DisplayHDR-DisplayPort/dp/B07XV1519W?th=1 or for VA this one https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G2-F...NK7AD087ZK8C&refRID=W6PN7HTZNK7AD087ZK8C&th=1

For a 24" then a 1080 resolution may enter the mix, 27 I want the higher pixel density.

Last edited:

jonathanvw

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hi Guys,

Thx for your opinion and explanation.

Currently i doubt between the Zowie XL2740 27 - TN / 240 / 1080p & ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27 - IPS / 280hz / 1080p.

The asus has an IPS panel but in tests the screen is very fast and has 0 input lag and has 280hz in OC mode, but has no full HD... in the tests they said that it's not a big deal and het still provides beautiful colors and images. And they all recommend it.

The Zowie has an TN panel and also has 0 input lag as they are mentioning in their tests and has 240hz + Full HD but is more expensive.

And yeah i know, the pixel density on a 27" 1080p monitor is not as good as on a 24". But i am used to play like this so this isn't a big of e deal for me.

So for me it seems that the IPS isn't the slowest one anymore as it was? With 0 input lag and 280hz the panel is pretty much the same as the Zowie panel. So should i spend more money and get the Zowie or can i save some money and go for the Asus monitor.
Or i'm i still gonna feel the difference between this IPS and TN panel?

Just want to make the right decision because now i have an TN panel :)

Last edited:
Being used to something and getting something better are different things. If you were hit in the head with a hammer every day you would get used to it, but if you were given a back rub every day instead that is still a lot nicer. I don't think getting a 27" screen in 1080 with a refresh rate over 144 is worth purchasing at all unless your hardware can't run at 1440 , which it can. You are putting the money towards the wrong thing, looking for very high just about useless refresh rates vs a tangible and noticeable improvement.