[SOLVED] What should I prioritize upgrading next? (10 year old build)

Jun 26, 2019
I had help building my system around a decade ago and I'm pretty far from an expert on hardware (though I've brushed up a bit on GPUs at least in the last few days). My old GPU finally died and, after some research, I'm planning to get an RX 570 or RX 580 to replace it. Assuming I do, where should I be looking next? Considering everything else in the build is about 10 years old I'm sure there is a lot of room for upgrades, I just don't have a large budget to upgrade it all at once. I'm leaning toward getting an SSD next, but I could easily be missing an even more glaring issue.

My current budget after getting a GPU is only around $100 but I'm mostly asking so I can be looking for deals moving forward.
Primary use is for gaming.

CPU: Core i5-2500k
Mboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0
RAM: 8GB (Corsair Vengeance 2x4MB)
PSU: Corsair GS800
HD: Western Digital 1TB

There are other things I'd like to replace like my mouse/keyboard and extra chassis fans but I would first like to make sure my new GPU is able to "run free" .

Solution
I'll be honest, if it is a 10 year old tier 4 (ish) PSU, I'd be looking to upgrade that first.
After that, SSD is always a great performance boost.
Going to 16GB RAM will help in modern gaming applications if needed.
But the generation is very old now, it still does well, but it's beginning to show its age, especially when newer generations can be much more affordable.

Lutfij

Titan
I doubt that PSU will hold up with any more upgrades. You will need to change to a more reliable unit, made by Seasonic that has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal. Given the age of the platform, I'm seeing you part ways with it and land on a concurrent platform(liekt he Ryzen 2nd gen or 3rd gen platform).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest, if it is a 10 year old tier 4 (ish) PSU, I'd be looking to upgrade that first.
After that, SSD is always a great performance boost.
Going to 16GB RAM will help in modern gaming applications if needed.
But the generation is very old now, it still does well, but it's beginning to show its age, especially when newer generations can be much more affordable.

Solution
Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the replys! PSUs honestly weren't really on my radar and sound like something I should look into sooner rather than later. I think I may also sneak in an SSD upgrade before saving up for the big (or more likely moderate) CPU/Motherboard upgrade.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX