Question What should I replace my Kaspersky Anti-Virus (Standard) with?

Jun 22, 2024
I go back to the MS-DOS era, so a long-timer here that needs some guidance since Kaspersky will no longer be available for us in the USA.

I have been using Kaspersky Anti-Virus (the very basic paid version) since probably 2008. Today's its called Kaspersky Standard. I would actually buy a 10-user license for 3 years so my friends and family could use it (many really don't know much about computers).

So, the burning question: What would you suggest that I go with? I would only use it on PC's with Windows 10 or Windows 11 (no phones, PDA's). I want it as cheap as possible, at least for 5 users and really don't need anything fancy - just something that would prevent a malicious email attachment and or some script being executed while visiting a page. I already have Nord VPN . Of course, I don't want something to slow-down my PC either (which Norton was doing in the 2010's).

I see that Mcafee has a 5-user version for like $30 per year. What about today's Norton, Bit Defender, AVG, Eset, and etc. ?

All input is very much appreciated!

Jun 22, 2024
The built in, FREE, Windows Defender is all that most users need.
I will not disagree, but I have some family members who aren't as logical as you and I are, and I just want an extra layer of protection. I cannot even begin to think how much time I will need to spend running "deep-cleaning" software on their machines to undo the stupid click that they made.

USAFRet

Titan
I will not disagree, but I have some family members who aren't as logical as you and I are, and I just want an extra layer of protection. I cannot even begin to think how much time I will need to spend running "deep-cleaning" software on their machines to undo the stupid click that they made.
Don't give those users Admin rights.

For just an AV to replace Kaspersky, Defender.

Jun 22, 2024
Don't give those users Admin rights.

For just an AV to replace Kaspersky, Defender.
The problem is some family members are in Seattle, some in Dallas and some in New York. So it's not me worried about my own PC! And the hardest thing of all, a couple of them are over 70 and dont really care to read and follow "guidelines" no matter how much effort I put into.

The last thing that I need now is them calling me and asking if it's okay to click such and such. At least with Kaspersky, they got used to it over the many years and I would like to just replace it.

Again, I am open to comments on the software packages I asked about.

Ralston18

Titan
Referencing:

"I cannot even begin to think how much time I will need to spend running "deep-cleaning" software on their machines to undo the stupid click that they made."

Do you have remote access to the family member systems?

Or do you just need some icon that they can click to "clean" the system if and as necessary.

How was Kapersky implemented for them?

What are the family members accustomed to "doing" with or without a call to you?

Only asking because the plan is likely to be more sucessful the more "Kaspersky like" (for lack of better phrasing) some other software package(s) may be.

Just FYI from this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/kaspersky-software-banned-by-us.3847545/#post-23286198

Reactions: PEnns
Mar 27, 2024
Hello,

First, I am totally sympathetic about trying to help your family, but yet they are not willing to do/learn anything to protect themselves, so you end up wanting to have the best technological protections despite advices otherwise.

Second, malware/scams/phishing all have social-engineering aspects. The first line of defense is truly the users. Technologies may make things harder, but the attackers will lead the users to get around all these. If we get our family to pay attention to one additional thing, that's already a win for us and for them. Maybe we should never give up getting them to do one more additional thing.

Third, I'd like to comment on the products I have used, not being an AV/malware protection expert. I currently use Windows Defender along with MalwareByte browser guard AND Bitdefender Traffic light extensions. I am hooked because it uses half the memory of the products that I have used before, possibly because the protection isn't as comprehensive. The other products definitely advertise on protecting you from phishing, ransomware, crypto threat, etc.

In the av-test results, it shows that Windows defender is as capable as other AV in terms of positive identifications, but maybe not as good in false positives. Watching the new malware variants that the different security companies report, I can see that AVG/Avast and BitDefender (not looking at the rest) pick up the new variants faster than Windows defender. Windows defender also seems to ignore the script-based threats (powershell, VBS) more. So if I am exposed to more risks (like having to follow links, download files, etc.), I'd undoubtedly go back to one of these products (or use sandboxing/VM more). Out of the two, I had more memory-leak and nagging problems with Avast, and Bitdefender was a breeze (but more difficult UI) to use.

Personally, I'd explore non-technological means of protection (like Ralston18 seems to suggest) because it may lead to even more protective solutions. Ultimately, though, I'd also give them "more" protections out of my admittedly biased, non-systemetic views too.

Reactions: mystiky24
Jun 22, 2024
Thank you all again for your insightful input.

As far as my relatives - I fully agree. They need to make logical decisions, no matter WHAT protection package is on their computer or not. So, I cannot argue against your excellent points. As people say "You can choose your friends but not your family members"

Now, back to me: I will admit that once in a while (remember, I go back to the MS-DOS days), I do like to venture out and look for an online stream of some sports game that is not being broadcast in the USA. I have NordVPN for that but many of those "underground" streaming sites do try to implement nasty things onto your PC while trying to click the right thing to get the stream. Believe it or not, Kaspersky did an excellent job blocking those malicious attempts and none of the pages I ever visited in 10+ years actually did infect me with a trojan script or etc. So, I am a little wary of just using Windows Defender, hence why I am still looking at having something like Mcafee for my PC too.

The answer to the above should not be "just don't go to those sites" as the whole idea is that although I don't have sensitive information on my PC, trying to clean things out isn't pleasant - even with regular backups.

Any other insightful color is much appreciated. It's sort of being married for almost 2 decades, and suddenly, one needs to start dating again, but doesn't know the current battlefield situation today's weapons. :rolleyes:

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: PEnns