What should I replace on my gaming PC??

Nov 20, 2018
Hey there guys, after about 3 years of no hardware upgrade (I only have change the GPU since them) I am starting to look into what I should prioritize considering the parts I already own.
Here is my rig right now:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820k CPU @ 3.30GHz 6 Cores
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Ram: Crucial CT4K4G4DFS8213 16GB(4X4 GB) DDR4
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What kind of issues are you attempting to address?

Honestly, I don't see any outright 'need' to replace anything.

If you just wanted to upgrade something for the sake of it, you could run a 2080TI in there without much issue - assuming the CPU is overclocked.

I mean, you *could* upgrade the base platform to an i9 or something, but I doubt you'd see much in the way of gains at all. Certainly not proportionate to the cost of the 'upgrade; .

Maybe looking to peripherals (Monitor, KB/M, Speakers, Headphones) would be a better route to go. A 5820K + 1080TI is no slouch.

Nov 20, 2018
The reason why a want to replace is that I have a 4k monitor and the games with this pc, is not running as I would like.
I thought that the processor had become outdated, but ¿maybe is a better option buy a new monitor with less resolution and more hz?.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
At 4K especially, that CPU is still more than capable.

If you want a better 4K experience, you're pretty much limited to a 2080TI, or SLI'ing 1080TIs....
What kind of in-game settings are you currently trying to run? While a 1080TI *can* be a 4K/60Hz card, that's generally with some reduced in-game settings.

Alternatively yes, you could drop down to say a 1440p, higher refresh rate monitor.
Depending on the titles you play, you might be able to drive 1440p 144Hz at some pretty high settings.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DqfhP6/acer-ed323qur-abidpx-315-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-ed323qur-abidpx

Depending on the titles though, you'll probably have to turn down in-game settings.

Yep, as a 1080 Ti owner I'm far happier with my 1440p G-Sync purchase than I would have been with an RTX 2080 Ti or any faster CPU.

OP, your system is good enough for any game. What kind of monitor do you have? Monitor is where you should be looking especially if you're still on 1080p.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

The OP has a 4K monitor.

So OP, you either have to improve your performance at the resolution you currently have (by reducing settings, or upgrading hardware) OR drop your resolution to match the hardware you have AND the settings you want to achieve.