What should I study for?

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello everyone
I am a 17 year old that started learning about computers when I was about 11 years old.
I consider myself to have average knowledge.
recently about a year ago I came to the conclusion that I want to go to college for networking... I really like networking but I would like for your opinions what other good subjects are there to study, within the computer grounds?
I know there is programming but I don't really find it all that interesting.
Any opinions greatly appreciated
:D

If you want to go the University route, get a BS in Computer Science. You can specialize in about anything.

It would be easier to go the technical school route. And faster. My son went to Coleman College. He got a Networking Certificate in about 8 months. Then he was able to get a professional job in the industry right then and continued school part time while working full time. A few years later he earned his BS in Networking and Security. By then he had been a working professional for about four years.

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thank you for your opinions and babernet_1
Thanks I had not tough of that I had already thought of networking security aswell but not the part of studying for computer science while I already have a networking degree thanks alot
New Ideas coming in :D

chugot9218

Honorable
I started in CS, somehow my school decided it was no longer a desirable program (Comp Sci, really???) and folded it all into IT, so I switched to that. Although they have changed the format recently, everyone took several generals and then proceeded into a "specialization", which, although it was only 3 classes (different format now as I said), they were pretty distinct, and only one was programming heavy. The other options were Database programming and design (still programming but I find it to be different from true coding) and the third was Network Security. I am sure your school will have computer related fields/options that do not have a heavy emphasis on coding. I did find after graduating and getting into the field, however, that coding can actually be pretty fun and even simple code can be incredibly useful, it is pretty amazing to find a problem or task that you know can be done easier, and to simply create something yourself to do it.

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I never know...
I might just give programming a try aswell
what do you all recommend to start with?
I just want something simple yet usefull that I can get a book on so I can read about it while Im still in high school and get some knowledge on that.