Question What should I upgrade about my PC.

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
Hello. I feel like my PC is slowly being unable to handle new games. I'm not sure if I could get away with simply overclocking my CPU and this will cover me for games like Cyber Punk 2077. But i have a £1000 bursary coming in in February and was planning on upgrading my PC. What would be the best options?

My Current Specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
RAM: 16gb DDR4
SSD: 256gb
HDD: 1TB
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170-Gaming K3 ATX Motherboard
PSU: 700W - Aerocool Integrator 80+ Cert Power Supply

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
The 7700k is an i7, not i5

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? Your RAM is it 2x8gb and what speed is it? What is the make and model of your psu? What is your cpu & gpu usage in the games you play?

Ah yeah youre right im dumb ahha, 2x8gb yeah 2666mhz Corsair Vengeance. 144hz Monitor, 700W - Aerocool Integrator 80+ Cert Power Supply, So I'm pretty sure everything is fine but when I play the new Modern Warfare my CPU is between 80% - 100% maybe I dont need ti upgrade anything and its just a but faulty, might need to take it into a shop? Not too sure, I dont really check the % of anything when I play games. I know for a fact though it isnt overheating

You need to learn how to monitor cpu & gpu usage, its very easy. Try a program like MSIAfterburner, there are lots of YouTube videos how to use it. Each system is different and each game is different, you need to work out what is limiting performance in the games you play with the settings and resolution you use. 80%-100% cpu usage is not a problem if you are utilising 100% of the gpu. However if the gpu usage is much lower then something else is holding it back.

How do you know it is not overheating if you are not monitoring it?

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
You need to learn how to monitor cpu & gpu usage, its very easy. Try a program like MSIAfterburner, there are lots of YouTube videos how to use it. Each system is different and each game is different, you need to work out what is limiting performance in the games you play with the settings and resolution you use. 80%-100% usage is not a problem if you are utilising 100% of the gpu. However if the gpu usage is much lower then something else is holding it back.

How do you know it is not overheating if you are not monitoring it?

I do monitor, when I feel like something is wrong. I use MSI afterburner to control fan speeds and my PC never goes above 70 degrees C. The reason I thought my CPU hitting 100% was an issue is because on MW CPU appears to be connected to sensitivity in game. When it hits 100% my sensitivity freaks out and becomes a lot less responsive, almost like theres input delay.

I just feel like the PC isnt running as smooth as I would like it. Not sure if thats whats to be expected considering how fast games are moving in terms of graphics and stuff but yeah. Not too sure, Might be worth not running MW in 144hz and at cap i t at 60?

For example, some games, Ill ramp all the graphics up to max, and it wont use all 6GB of the GPU memory but will still lag. Hence why I mentioned is it worth overclocking the CPU?

DSzymborski

Titan
Finding out your motherboard is a must.

The power supply is the obvious first place as that is a very low-quality power supply. Aerocool even did a little bit of fraud on this one, discovered by JonnyGuru, by downgrading the parts after getting the 80 Plus Bronze certification and keeping the badge. And even the "good" one was using Asia'X capacitors. Such is life on the garbage-end of the power supply market.

Would also be useful to know what your actual CPU is. There's no such thing as an i5-7700k. Only an i7-7700k.

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
Finding out your motherboard is a must.

The power supply is the obvious first place as that is a very low-quality power supply. Aerocool even did a little bit of fraud on this one, discovered by JonnyGuru, by downgrading the parts after getting the 80 Plus Bronze certification and keeping the badge. And even the good one was using Asia'X capacitors.

Ah I see, I did get this PC a couple years ago and am slowly upgrading it overtime etc. The MOBO is: GIGABYTE Z170-Gaming K3 ATX Motherboard.

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
When the cpu hits 100% does gpu usage drop? It does sound like you are limited by the cpu but the game should be playable without freaking out with a 7700k.

Well thats what I thought. My though process is, maybe reapply some thermal paste to the CPU, it might be throttling but I dont see temps as I said over 70. I honestly cant remember as I am away from that PC for the weekend. Part of me thinks yeah, that might be happening but I honestly cant say at the moment