Question What should I upgrade/change/optimize to improve performance?

Aug 17, 2020
Hey guys!

I recently built a new PC and I've been noticing some slow downs or hiccups with Photoshop(mostly) as well as when I open, minimize and maximize folders or browsers. I find it weird because my work computer has similar, but lower specs than this one, but I don't have the same issues with that one.

When I say slow downs/hiccups with folders and browsers is that they don't open or maximize completely smoothly most of the time. More often than not they kinda lag while opening (it's not that it lags before opening after I click, it happens while in the quick process of expanding) for a split second or they open like in super quick layers, hence not super smoothly. With Photoshop is does the same as well, and in addition, files suddenly become very laggy when I zoom in on them and I try to scroll the window with space bar which lets you move the artwork around.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if I need to optimize/change or upgrade something in my build to help with that as I'm not too experienced with this stuff to actually pin point the issue. My work office has a different setup so it may be that those components worked better together? Btw, same 4k monitor on both.

I would really appreciate it.

Home PC specs (the ones I need help with).

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200
GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 Super (4GB GDDR6)
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Windows 10 (64bit)

Office PC specs:

Mobo: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 ti (4GB GDDR5)
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Windows 10 (64bit)

ASK THE COMMUNITY