What should I upgrade first my GPU or CPU?

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Hello everybody i just want to ask what should i upgrade first my GPU or CPU?

I actually have a Phenom II 1100t oc to 3.8ghz, 6gb ddr2 and a R9 270x.

What should I buy first?

A new CPU, probably a Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700.

Mobo im thinking about Gigabyte Gaming 3 or Asus B350F Strix

Or

A new VGA, probably a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070, or maybe a Vega 56.

Thanks in advange peps. :)

I'm planning to play only in 1080p, never more than that.

And the games are mainly CS:GO, Overwatch, BF4, BF1, The Witcher 3 and Dying Light.

Solution
If you game at 720p, the 1070 is obviously way overkill. Even the 1060 and the AMD cards. But when you get the 1080p/144Hz display, either of them will pay off.
I only suggested Nvidia because the AMD cards are still way overpriced thanks to the bitcoin miners. At least here in the US where I live. If you live somewhere that has them at competitive prices (and available), then the 580 or Vega 56 would be acceptable.
Prices aside, any of those would be good choices. Until recently, I had as many AMD cards as Nvidia in my collection. But I sold my AMD cards for outrageous prices to hungry miners. I wonder if any of them got rich?

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

Thanks for the info :)

Another question hehe

Which VGA you think its better on price per performance: gtx 1060 6gb, gtx 1070 or Vega 56?

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

So, wait for Volta, because older GTX and Vega will have their prices reduced?

I'd say build your new computer first(CPU/mb/ram) then upgrade the videocard last. Two reasons, one you can bring the old videocard with you. Yes it's kind of low end for today's games, but at least you CAN game on it. Two, right now due to mining, videocard prices of the 1060/580 level and better are too high. It's best not to buy a card of that category right now unless you absolutely have to, which you don't. Worst case, prices are still high when you're ready to buy the videocard, best case they are a lot less expensive. You have nothing to lose by waiting and a lot to potentially gain.

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

It's a good point, btw, how much did vga prices increased because of mining?
Any suggestion between 1060 / 1070 / vega56 / one rx series ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
AMD cards took the biggest price hit due to mining because of their architecture. Nvidia, not so much. But because they have (had) the game market to themselves, Nvidia even kept their prices higher than normal.

It's really up to you. Do you want to spend a whole lot for a totally new platform including the gfx card, or just upgrade what you have to max it out with a gfx card?

Have you checked out what the old PhII X6 1100T is going for used?

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

Right now, if i need to choose just one thing, it would be something that gives me more fps in CS:GO, BF4, The Witcher 3 and Dying Light.

For mobo and cpu its almost clear, ryzen 1600/1700, gigabyte gaming 3 or asus strix b350f. (i already have a 8gb ddr4 2400 here with me)

But when it comes to Vga, im totally in doubt, if its better a 1060, 1070, vega 56 or a rx 480/580. And i have no guess about when the prices will go down. :s

And I cant sell my 1100t because i'll give it to my family. Probably i will give it and exchange for money to buy one of these 3 things ( half the cpu price, the full mobo price or half the vga price)

ghabinoski

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

Actually I have a 1366x766 monitor, but I plan to buy one to play in 1080p and if possible play in 144hz or more in csgo.
more than 1080p is too big for me.

So, in my situation, the better is to wait a little to vga prices reduce, and to buy a 1070 instead a 1060, vega 56 or rx 480/580?

Thanks for the help (y)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you game at 720p, the 1070 is obviously way overkill. Even the 1060 and the AMD cards. But when you get the 1080p/144Hz display, either of them will pay off.
I only suggested Nvidia because the AMD cards are still way overpriced thanks to the bitcoin miners. At least here in the US where I live. If you live somewhere that has them at competitive prices (and available), then the 580 or Vega 56 would be acceptable.
Prices aside, any of those would be good choices. Until recently, I had as many AMD cards as Nvidia in my collection. But I sold my AMD cards for outrageous prices to hungry miners. I wonder if any of them got rich?

Solution