What should i upgrade first/ New build help .

redrover2

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Alright, hey guys !
Recently i've been struggling with my pc so i've decided to build a new one. My budget is limited so i can only buy a CPU with mobo/ram or a GPU and i dont know which would benefit me the most until i replace both.
This is what i'm currently running:

I5 2500(non k :( )
r9 280x RoyalQueen
8gb ddr3

Now i was thinking about getting the Gigabyte gaming extreme edition 1070 for the GPU or an i5 6600k with an asus motherboard and ddr4 ram combo. So i know that there will be a bottleneck in both cases but what would be better for me and easier to bare with untill i upgrade everything else.

I hope someone has the time to help me and give me some suggestions!

Have a nice day!

Solution
compromise, boosting both cpu and gpu while using DDR3 ram, getting a lot upgraded, and gives you plenty of time to complete motherboard/ ram upgrade later

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DVS/D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($0.00 ALREADY OWNED)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card ($189.42 @ Newegg)
Total: $431.91

power consumption at most is 285W so that PSu should do for now
You could get good use out of a 1060 with that i5 and you already have 8gb ram. Either 1060, 3gb or 6gb, is a sizable jump up from a 280x. I am curious what you mean by 'struggling'. The 280x is still a decent card, if it were me I'd upgrade CPU/motherboard/ram to the latest and just use the 280x for now. By the time you're ready to buy the GPU there will be more options to choose from and things will be cheaper, win/win.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

be specific, what do you mean by "struggling"

games, resolution, fps, etc etc

also make and model of your power supply

Recently i've been struggling with my pc so i've decided to build a new one.
Define struggling, such as program taking long load, PC slow to boot, your FPS in games is 10?

My budget is limited so i can only buy a CPU with mobo/ram or a GPU and i dont know which would benefit me the most until i replace both.
Polease define budget uppermost limit ie: give it a cash value.

I5 2500(non k :( )
r9 280x RoyalQueen
8gb ddr3
you need to identify name, model of Motherboard, Power Supply, and Ram needs make, model and Speed to be able to truly help you in "upgrading"

Now i was thinking about getting the Gigabyte gaming extreme edition 1070 for the GPU or an i5 6600k with an asus motherboard and ddr4 ram combo
1070 or CPU/MOBO/RAM ... so about 3-400$ is your budget ?

redrover2

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

By struggling i mean that it's outdated and its having a hard time in games . Don't get me wrong i still get decent fps in most games i play if i turn down some settings but i feel like it's time for an upgrade. I dont think the 1060 is worth it to be honest since a friend has it and the fps avergae he is getting in most games isn't that much higher than mine plus he has a better cpu. I was only going to go for the 1070 since i feel like its going to last me at least 3 more years and maybe if i buy it AMD zen will come out and perhaps the prices for the cpu will change.

redrover2

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

ALright so in games i get decent fps so to say at 1080p like but as i remember i was getting much better when the gpu was new, like much better. Right now with this cpu and gpu combo i cant run far cry 3 on ultra. I mean i can but the fps isnt as smooth. I tried the gtx 660 yesterday just for fun and i was getting more stable fps, the game felt super smooth. 660 was stock and mine was overclocked a bit to 1100mhz core and 1600mhz mem clock...It's differnet in overwatch though, since i can get above 100fps on low-medium settings at 1080p. Min around 90-max 200. I've also replaced the thermal paste on the gpu so its running at 75c during full load.

As for the psu, i have an energon EPS-750w gaming psu (not that great tbh, but it never caused me any issues.)
I believe my motherboard is the most basic H67model and i think ive noticed somewhere that it supports up to 1333mhz ram only. Even though my ram is kingston 1600mhz.

My budget is around 400/500usd depending on the local prices since im not from the us and amazon is much more expensive.
I was going for the 1070 because i feel like its going to be a massive improvement even with this cpu since my r9 280x is under 100%load in most games and even though there will be a bottleneck with the 1070 i think i should dbe able to last till the zen drops.
Still a ddr4 ram/mobo/skylake sounds tempting and would also last me a couple of years just like the 1070.

compromise, boosting both cpu and gpu while using DDR3 ram, getting a lot upgraded, and gives you plenty of time to complete motherboard/ ram upgrade later

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DVS/D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($0.00 ALREADY OWNED)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card ($189.42 @ Newegg)
Total: $431.91

power consumption at most is 285W so that PSu should do for now

Solution

redrover2

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

This looks like a good build, but im not sure how long this would last me, i mean yeah sure its a much much better system than what i have currently but i feel like a "k" procesor would last me just that bit longer overclocked. The prices here are much higher since i cant be buying through amazon or newegg so i dont think id be able to buy everything at once. But an asus rog strix 1070 here costs me about 550$ so everything is about 100$ more.