May 6, 2017
My current build is:
CPU: amd phenom II x4 955 black edition
Gpu: xfx Radeon 6870
Psu: corsair gs800
Ram: 8gb of hyperx fury ram 1600mhz
Motherboard: Msi 870A-g54
Case: nzxt phantom black full tower

I am having trouble figuring out which to upgrade first.
If I get a new CPU I would have to replace my motherboard as well.
I was considering getting the ryzen 7 1700 and the msi b350 motherboard.
On the graphic card side, I was considering getting a rx 580 or gtx 1070. Should I replace my CPU and motherboard now or replace them later and get a better gpu.

Note: I play on 1080p and on my computer, I video edit, do Moderate gaming, and program.
In the future, I also plan on using unreal engine 4.

Solution
If you get the new RyZen platform you're also going to need new ram, i.e DDR4. Your current ram isn't compatible. If you're talking about a 1080p monitor and games, you'd be better off buying a GTX1060 6GB version or a little lower to GTX1050Ti. If looking at AMD's camp, you're going to be fine with the RX570/580.

I'd suggest getting the CPU, motherboard and ram and then buy the GPU later. By that time you're probably going to see a better candidate for the GPU.

Lutfij

Titan
If you get the new RyZen platform you're also going to need new ram, i.e DDR4. Your current ram isn't compatible. If you're talking about a 1080p monitor and games, you'd be better off buying a GTX1060 6GB version or a little lower to GTX1050Ti. If looking at AMD's camp, you're going to be fine with the RX570/580.

I'd suggest getting the CPU, motherboard and ram and then buy the GPU later. By that time you're probably going to see a better candidate for the GPU.

Solution