What should I upgrade first?

louisputland

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I have been running GTA V on high mainly for the majority of time I've had it.

Here is exactly what i've been running it with:

Resolution:1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Refresh Rate: 60
FXAA: On
MSAA: Off
NVIDIA TXAA: Off
Vsync: On
Population Density: Full
Population Variety: Just over half
Distance scaling: Full
Texture Quality: High
Shader Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Quality: Very high
Reflection MSAA: X4
Particles Quality: Very High
Grass Quality: Very High
Soft Shadows: Softer
Post FX: high
Motion blur: Off
Depth Of Field: Off (Mainly because it annoys me)
Anisotropic Filtering: X4
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Tessellation: High
Long Shadows: Off
High Res Shadows: Off
High Detail Streaming when Flying: On
Extended Distance Scaling: About 1/4

PC Specs:
GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
Intel i5 Skylake 6600K
8GB Corsair DDR4 Ram
128 GB SSD and 2TB HDD (GTA is installed on HDD)
Three Monitors (In case this matters):
2x Acer 21inch 1920x1080
1x BenQ 1920x1080 (Main Monitor)

I want to know what to upgrade so I can get my PC to run GTA on mainly max settings, for example should I go for a GTX 1080 or I7 CPU? Or do I just need more RAM. Also, have I got a setting turned on that I shouldn't have in game settings that slows down my game.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

- Louis

Solution
GTX1080, then move up to 16Gb of RAM, or do both at once if you have the budget.

Also bear in mind the GTX970 is getting on a bit now so a little careful trimming of game settings will often go a long way to getting better frame rates.
Turn AA to the minimum, it always hammers the frame rate AND eats into the GPU memory, sometimes causing stutters or glitches.
Turn PhysX off, this can also have a big impact on frame rates and is a double hit: The GPU has to do more physics calculations AND has to render the extra particles/effects generated.
Soft shadows/precise shadows also have a negative impact on frame rates, soft shadows can be particularly hard on older cards, turn them off or down.
GTX1080, then move up to 16Gb of RAM, or do both at once if you have the budget.

Also bear in mind the GTX970 is getting on a bit now so a little careful trimming of game settings will often go a long way to getting better frame rates.
Turn AA to the minimum, it always hammers the frame rate AND eats into the GPU memory, sometimes causing stutters or glitches.
Turn PhysX off, this can also have a big impact on frame rates and is a double hit: The GPU has to do more physics calculations AND has to render the extra particles/effects generated.
Soft shadows/precise shadows also have a negative impact on frame rates, soft shadows can be particularly hard on older cards, turn them off or down.

Solution