What should I upgrade first?

Apr 10, 2018
Hello! I am looking to upgrade some parts in my PC soon when I have some money... Here are my specs; which component should I look to upgrade first because I wanna make sure nothing is being bottlenecked; also remember that I am hoping to play VR and I want to upgrade my PC so I am able to play that! :D

- Thank you.

PC SPECS - https://i.imgur.com/Mb2ReYS.png

Solution
At this point, you should consider a complete system replacement. Your motherboard can't support DDR4 RAM or a Ryzen CPU and if you want bottleneck free VR use you'd need to upgrade the CPU, GPU and RAM. AM3 is pretty old and from what I can see most options available to you will bottleneck the GPU you'd need to play VR titles reasonably well.

If your budget can stretch to it, consider going down the route of a new build. That way it's largely irrelevant what you choose to upgrade first.
D

Deleted member 2121781

AM3+ is a dead platform, even an FX 9590 (aka Fire waiting to happen) will bottleneck VR. I would go to either a Ryzen or Coffee Lake platform on an R5 or i5 with a GTX 1060 or RX 580 at minimum

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
At this point, you should consider a complete system replacement. Your motherboard can't support DDR4 RAM or a Ryzen CPU and if you want bottleneck free VR use you'd need to upgrade the CPU, GPU and RAM. AM3 is pretty old and from what I can see most options available to you will bottleneck the GPU you'd need to play VR titles reasonably well.

If your budget can stretch to it, consider going down the route of a new build. That way it's largely irrelevant what you choose to upgrade first.

Solution
Apr 10, 2018
Okay, well, I was thinking something similar to that too. I might go for, an AM4 DDR4 Motherboard (not sure which exact model, with google that later), a Ryzen 5, 8GB of DDR4 and an RX580? Sound good?

D

Deleted member 2121781

Yeah, just make sure you aren't horribly overpaying for the RX 580, otherwise, a GTX 1060 will probably cheaper and easier to find. I do recommend a B or X series chipset for the motherboard since those can overclock easily.

D

Deleted member 2121781

If you can get it at or close to that price, yeah. It is an auction though, so it may increase in price...