May 13, 2019
Hello. I need some help deciding in which component of my pc i need to upgrade first. So first and foremost my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Gigabyte windforce 1060 6gb
Mobo:Gigabyte A320m ds2
Ram: Crucial 16gb 2133 1 stick
PSU: Seasonic 520W bronze 80+
Stock cooler for CPU

Reasons for upgrading is because my fps for some games are dropping. Games like cs go and dota on high is only 120 ish to 190 fps on high settings. Im not very sure on how all these components. I only know some basics. Is it because of my mobo that its bottlenecking or something?

So upgrade 1:
Is just upgrading my gpu first to a msi 1070 ti gaming 8g for about 330usd (used) first then get another mobo when i save enough money

Or

Upgrade 2:
Upgrading mobo,stock cooler and ram
Mobo: B350m asus gaming-f for 100 usd used
Cooler: cyrorig h7 quad lumi 60usd
Ram: change my 1 stick of 16gb to 2x8gb vengence 3200 ram add about 30-45 usd if i sell my ram stick

Thank you in advance

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I would just do upgrade 1, save and upgrade to Zen 2 later.

There's a good chance you might have difficulty reaching 3200MHz ram on A320m. Also first gen Zens were very particular about ram so would want to have the bios updated to the newest version for better memory support but even then no guarantees.

First gen (Zen 1) Ryzen's (1xxx to 2xxx) do benefit from faster memory though, which would help the graphics card maintain frame rates as the cpu needs to prepare every frame for the gpu to render.

Watch this video on info why Ryzen benefit faster memory.

---

So you could get the 1070Ti and 3200 ram and if say can only get them working between 2666 ~ 2933 (still a good boost) at least you'll be in dual channel with the two rams and possibly carry them over if you consider upgrading to Zen 2.

InvalidError

Titan
Upgrading from single-channel (one DIMM) to dual-channel would rank pretty high on my priority list, single-channel can be a pretty large handicap since it means burst reads and writes take twice as long to complete. Having the slowest DDR4 grade available does not help either.

I'd start with getting the 2x8GB DDR4-3000 or better. You may only be able to clock it at 2866 or so but it should still be a pretty significant performance upgrade over single-channel 2133MT/s.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On an A320 mobo, you'll not get much of anything done. There's no OC, no xmp, no dohc etc on those mobo's.

For 1080p, a gtx1070ti is not only wasted, it's over expensive. It's roughly equitable to a gtx1660ti at double the cost.

Before even considering upgrades, first I'd see what the real issue is. Cs:go especially is a 2 thread game, my old i7-3770K and gtx970 can hit a solid 300fps at ultra settings.

It'll probably have something to do with needing bios update, motherboard chipset driver updates.

Fps do not suddenly drop. Not without reason. Windows updates, driver conflicts, malware, SSDs at capacity, something is the root cause because with even that pc, you shouldn't have any issues getting @ 300fps at ultra.

Which means play cs:go as is, use HWInfo or msi Afterburner and record your fps. Bump settings to ultra/max, play the same, drop settings to low and play again. If fps is changing drastically, there's a gpu issue. If fps really doesn't move much at all, it's a cpu issue since it's not outputting near enough fps.

That's when you start chasing down power plans, drivers, temps etc.

Changing one part at a time in hopes of fixing the issue is a waste of money and effort. You could change mobo, ram, cpu, gpu and mean exactly nothing if the entire issue is that there's only 4% unused space on the ssd and any game you play is suffering hard due to pagefile usage.

Find the issue, fix the issue. Throwing money at it in hopes it'll go away is a fools endeavor.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
just get a faster ram and get two or quad sticks this time.
you dont need to upgrade your CPU or GPU
single ram stick with Ryzen is a suicide get 4x4gb or 2x8gb 2400mhz minimum, getting 3000mhz would be a better choice.
and dont get another 16gb 2133 ram stick and put it in there , you dont need 32gb ram and 2133mhz suks big time

you should be getting over 200+ fps in cs go 1080p with 1060ti

May 13, 2019
On an A320 mobo, you'll not get much of anything done. There's no OC, no xmp, no dohc etc on those mobo's.

For 1080p, a gtx1070ti is not only wasted, it's over expensive. It's roughly equitable to a gtx1660ti at double the cost.

Before even considering upgrades, first I'd see what the real issue is. Cs:go especially is a 2 thread game, my old i7-3770K and gtx970 can hit a solid 300fps at ultra settings.

It'll probably have something to do with needing bios update, motherboard chipset driver updates.

Fps do not suddenly drop. Not without reason. Windows updates, driver conflicts, malware, SSDs at capacity, something is the root cause because with even that pc, you shouldn't have any issues getting @ 300fps at ultra.

Which means play cs:go as is, use HWInfo or msi Afterburner and record your fps. Bump settings to ultra/max, play the same, drop settings to low and play again. If fps is changing drastically, there's a gpu issue. If fps really doesn't move much at all, it's a cpu issue since it's not outputting near enough fps.

That's when you start chasing down power plans, drivers, temps etc.

Changing one part at a time in hopes of fixing the issue is a waste of money and effort. You could change mobo, ram, cpu, gpu and mean exactly nothing if the entire issue is that there's only 4% unused space on the ssd and any game you play is suffering hard due to pagefile usage.

Find the issue, fix the issue. Throwing money at it in hopes it'll go away is a fools endeavor.

Ah alright. Sorry but i wasnt aware of alot of things. So thank you for telling me some of the things that could be the main issue of my problem! The first thing i did was change my thermal paste and bios update. When i tried all i could thats when i decided to ask for advice and help.

May 13, 2019
just get a faster ram and get two or quad sticks this time.
you dont need to upgrade your CPU or GPU
single ram stick with Ryzen is a suicide get 4x4gb or 2x8gb 2400mhz minimum, getting 3000mhz would be a better choice.
and dont get another 16gb 2133 ram stick and put it in there , you dont need 32gb ram and 2133mhz suks big time

you should be getting over 200+ fps in cs go 1080p with 1060ti
So that means i have to upgrade my mobo too since it only supports single channel?

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
May 13, 2019
NO your motherboard supports dual channel https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/GA-A320M-DS2-rev-10#kf
ram but you can only put two sticks which is just fine, just get two ram sticks 2x4gb 2400 or 2x8gb 2400 minimum if you can, get 3000mhz ram
So i did upgrade to a 2x8gb 3200mhz ram and even did a clean installation of windows and wipe everything. And i still only get around 190-230 ish fps. Is it possible my cpu is bottlenecking or something? the cpu is only running at about45-60% most of the time and my gpu is running at 70+ only.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
So i did upgrade to a 2x8gb 3200mhz ram and even did a clean installation of windows and wipe everything. And i still only get around 190-230 ish fps. Is it possible my cpu is bottlenecking or something? the cpu is only running at about45-60% most of the time and my gpu is running at 70+ only.

so your FPS improved,
and if your CPU is not at 100% and your GPU is not at 100% they are not bottlenecking ,
check the game settings, turn off V-sync.

also you cant see more than 120 or 144 fps, thats the upper limit of a your monitor given that you have a 120 or 144hz monitor no point getting higher FPS, you can increase the ingame graphics settings and reduce the extra fps and increase the quality.
CSGO, 1080p max settings, GTX 1060 6gb pumping out around 200fps is not bad or less its about what it can pump out.