[SOLVED] What should I upgrade for more FPS and less lag spikes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Keep it to 1 thread
Hi, I have had my PC for going on three years now, I have a intel i5 7400, GTX 1050TI, 1TB HDD, and I’m soon buying a 500GB SSD to install a few games and OS on it. I also recently installed 16GB of ram. I have certain games where I do not get too much FPS like call of duty and GTA V, I know they are both quite demanding games as modern warfare include battle royale games and GTA is quite a large map. I’m planning to upgrade my system in the next month or two, on GTA I used to get around 50/60FPS and I could work with that, not too much problem but recently I don’t know why, quite suddenly I have experienced lag spikes where it drops to 30FPS which causes lots of small lag spikes making it quite hard to play, I believe there is something wrong with my settings or system as it came on randomly but ive tried fixing it by a lot of things but I’m mainly just focussed on buying new components so I’m here wondering what to upgrade first, let’s say I have 300/350$ to spend, would it be more worthwhile upgrading my CPU (it says it runs at 100% almost always in my task manager by the way) or upgrading my GTX 1050TI for a larger amount of FPS and less FPS drops when explosions or large gun fights happen or anything which could cause FPS drops. Also I have the motherboard ASUS H110M-R, please list what CPU’s or GPU’s I should get. Cheers guys let me know!

Last edited:
Solution
Just upgrade the gpu first, maybe aim for at least rx570/1650 super or even better to gtx 1660. Add a decent ssd and you're good to go.

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
You can get a Ryzen 5 3600 for £160± and a decent B450 motherboard for £70-£90±, which ends up faster and better overall performance than the i7-6700k and costs @ £50- £70 less, or pay @ the same price and add in 16Gb of 3200MHz ram.

That's better value than a £300, 4 year old cpu.

Not to mention you can always sell the 7400/mobo/ram on the 2nd hand websites and make £50 or more back.
If I was to get these new components, what’s the average someone would charge in the UK for setting this up for me at a computer shop or something similar?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have absolutely no idea lol. I left England almost 40 years ago, pc's weren't really invented then 😂

Lga1151 is the socket type. I have an older i7 3770k and it uses lga1155. 8th/9th Gen also use lga1151 but it's often referred to as lga1151 v2. It doesn't make a difference to the cooler, just which series of cpus. For Intel. And uses AM4 currently.

Many shops here in the States won't build the pc using your parts, if they break it or it ends up as broke from the factory, they can't replace it without charging you, and many deliberately take advantage of that (criminals!). If you ask around, look at website reviews etc, you'll probably find some shop that's respectable, and you'd buy his parts and pay for the upgrade. That way if anything breaks, he can get warranty replacement and not cost you anything. He'll have to guarantee the parts and labour.

Most ppl buying parts online either do it themselves or have buddies help/do it for them for the price of a pint or three.

Last edited:

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, I have the motherboard H110M-R and the power supply CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY. I want to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 1660/1665from a 1050TI, is my motherboard and psu capable of this upgrade?

As long as your motherboard has a full-size PCIe X16 slot, it can work with either GPU.

Your PSU is rather low quality and low wattage. A 1660 or above need a PSU with more wattage than you have and also preferably better quality as well.

Does this PSU have the letters VS on the label in orange or grey?

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
As long as your motherboard has a full-size PCIe X16 slot, it can work with either GPU.

Your PSU is rather low quality and low wattage. A 1660 or above need a PSU with more wattage than you have and also preferably better quality as well.

Does this PSU have the letters VS on the label in orange or grey?
Orange

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
We've already had that discussion, Op has opted to bump up the gpu for now.

But obviously need a better equipped psu as that's a 10year? old design psu that's best served as a OEM replacement in Grandma's websurfing and cooking video machine. Not a gaming rig.

For Corsair, black and silver only. All the sizes and models got a revamp in 2017/2018 bringing up to date, with far better quality than previous. Stay away from the blocky colored lettering units, yes they can still be found in places like Amazon or eBay.