[SOLVED] What should i upgrade im confused

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Right now i have a rx 580 and i5 4460 running on 1366x720 monitor
Now every modern game i play the CPU is always at 100% and the gpu on 50-60%
Some people told me to get a new 1080p monitor it'll fix it because the rx 580 is best with 1080p
And some people told me to get a new CPU it'll fix it because my current CPU is too weak , some told me to replace my 8gb ram
Im confused and don't know what to get or do
I don't wanna waste money.

Solution
☝️ Yeah, ya good to go.

It'll be a big difference. I hope you can find a 4790 for a reasonable price. People can price too much second hand.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Get better monitor first.

The reason why they are saying get a better monitor is because the GPU usage will increase, so you will have a more optimised and "well-used" rig.

You may then find that you want to upgrade your CPU afterwards, because if you upgrade the CPU now, you'll still have the same issue because you're limiting the GPU to running at 720.

The reason why your CPU usage is so high in comparison to the GPU is because the GPU is playing at a resolution lower than it is capable of playing at, so you are effectively "wasting" the addtional power of the GPU.

Again, you may find you want to upgrade CPU afterwards, but until you actually utilise the GPU, any CPU upgrade will be a waste.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps cap in frame pre-rendering. Lower resolutions see gpus render more frames which means more frames the cpu needs to get ready and this adds toward cpu load. Higher resolutions means less fps and less frame preparation the cpu needs to do.

1080p is a nice jump from 720p but not sure if it's enough to lower fps enough to still be a problem. I do agree, 1080p monitor would be nicer. Try Amd Vsr on your current monitor.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

16GB is recommended these days seeing that Windows can tax a bit of ram. Available ram would be roughly 6GB, that's not a lot in today's games and would cause higher hdd/ssd pagefile (virtual memory) usage slowing things down.

Frame preparation is one thing the cpu needs to do. In modern games, four cores aren't really recommend anymore. More ram, i7 upgrades might be an option if price isn't asking too much.

Last edited:

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Cpu sets the fps cap in frame pre-rendering. Lower resolutions see gpus render more frames which means more frames the cpu needs to get ready and this adds toward cpu load. Higher resolutions means less fps and less frame preparation the cpu needs to do.

1080p is a nice jump from 720p but not sure if it's enough to lower fps enough to still be a problem. I do agree, 1080p monitor would be nicer. Try Amd Vsr on your current monitor.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

16GB is recommended these days seeing that Windows can tax a bit of ram. Available ram would be roughly 6GB, that's not a lot in today's games and would cause higher hdd/ssd pagefile (virtual memory) usage slowing things down.

Frame preparation is one thing the cpu needs to do. In modern games, four cores aren't really recommend anymore. More ram, i7 upgrades might be an option if price isn't asking too much.
i tried Amd's VSR and the fps was the same on 1080p
is it gonna be the same if i got a new 1080p monitor?

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Get better monitor first.

The reason why they are saying get a better monitor is because the GPU usage will increase, so you will have a more optimised and "well-used" rig.

You may then find that you want to upgrade your CPU afterwards, because if you upgrade the CPU now, you'll still have the same issue because you're limiting the GPU to running at 720.

The reason why your CPU usage is so high in comparison to the GPU is because the GPU is playing at a resolution lower than it is capable of playing at, so you are effectively "wasting" the addtional power of the GPU.

Again, you may find you want to upgrade CPU afterwards, but until you actually utilise the GPU, any CPU upgrade will be a waste.
are you sure? i tried AMD's VSR on 4k and 1080p and the usage was the same never changed
I also tried a bottleneck calculator.....
View: https://imgur.com/a/xQxYANR

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i tried Amd's VSR and the fps was the same on 1080p
is it gonna be the same if i got a new 1080p monitor?

It'll be similar but with a 1080p screen can add vsr further.

Your i5 can still manage a decent fps cap at 1080p. It's just a combination of frame pre-rendering + other game related stuff adding toward overall cpu usages, stuff like Ai/npc, physics, map loading, audio and multiplayer. Also background running processes can affect cpu resources.

A program like Winaero can help temporarily disable unnecessary services. Should check it out and see if it helps your cpu allocate more focus on game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What games are you playing?

Frame preparation affects games differently, some less, some more. Depends how cpu intensive a game is.

Have a look at this. BF is cpu intensive and he explains how frame rates affect cpu usage.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
What games are you playing?

Frame preparation affects games differently, some less, some more. Depends how cpu intensive a game is.

Have a look at this. BF is cpu intensive and he explains how frame rates affect cpu usage.

I play AC origins, watch dogs 2, the Witcher 3.. Etc
So should i get a new monitor or a CPU? and maybe upgrade my hdd to ssd? Im really confused on what to do..