[SOLVED] What Should I Upgrade in 2020?

Geraki

Reputable
Mar 12, 2016
Looking for advice to upgrade without bottlenecking. Primarily use my PC for World of Warcraft, Baldur's Gate 3, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Fortnite, Warzone, World of Warships, Mass Effect, and Halo. I haven't kept up on hardware trends since building this PC in 2016 and I feel lost in my research. So without further ado...

I game at 1080p and am perfectly happy with that. With a family I don't get near as much time to game as I used to before my son was born. At best I play casually now.

I do occasionally get screen tearing (Jedi Fallen order was awful and needed to play on low to medium) and most of my games must be played at medium to medium-high settings. Obviously some of the less intensive titles/older titles and Steam games I can play at ultra still.

Monitor: Acer XFA240 24" 144hz 1ms 1920x1080 TN panel
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2, 120mm
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 ATX
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC
RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) GSkill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2133
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III; 480GB Corsair Force LE
HDD: WD 1 TB Black 7200 RPM

I have to run my PC wirelessly but thankfully have decent internet speed.

Wondering which upgrade(s) will provide the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank and/or bottlenecking anything?

Thanks for any suggestions

Solution
I'd say doing something like this, now, and then a platform change of motherboard, CPU and memory later, would be a good idea. Also, when you do the platform upgrade I'd replace that memory and just sell what you have now or use it for a secondary system. It is far too slow to be used with anything current and would seriously hamper the system performance. In fact, it's probably hampering your system performance NOW, as it stands.

Ok, well, I WAS going to put a link for an RTX 2060 Super here, because that would be a superb upgrade for any 1080p system where somebody wants to be able to see Ultra settings and high FPS/refresh rate gaming, and it is still a good option, but honestly, at this stage in the game, waiting for the RTX 3060...
Why are you getting tearing when you have a G-sync monitor and an Nvidia graphics card? Do you not have G-sync enabled?

What kind of budget are you wanting to throw at this?

Are you primarily looking to increase visual quality while maintaining current frame rates or are you looking to primarily increase frame rates while maintaining the same visual quality you have now, or both?

That GTX 970 should still be pretty capable for 1080p gaming, but it is starting to get rather long in the tooth, as is that 6600k. Truthfully, I think your CPU/platform is the biggest immediate problem.

Geraki

Reputable
Mar 12, 2016
Why are you getting tearing when you have a G-sync monitor and an Nvidia graphics card? Do you not have G-sync enabled?

What kind of budget are you wanting to throw at this?

Are you primarily looking to increase visual quality while maintaining current frame rates or are you looking to primarily increase frame rates while maintaining the same visual quality you have now, or both?

That GTX 970 should still be pretty capable for 1080p gaming, but it is starting to get rather long in the tooth, as is that 6600k. Truthfully, I think your CPU/platform is the biggest immediate problem.
Thanks for the reply Darkbreeze!

Unfortunately, though my monitor is G-Sync capable my GPU is not. I didn't find that out until after I bought the monitor. The monitor requires a 10 series card to enable G-Sync from the research I did when frustratingly trying to address the screen tearing in SW: Jedi Fallen Order.

Budget wise I've got about $350-$500 or so to spend right now. I could be convinced to save for a bigger boost and more replacing in 2021 if it's worth it to wait.

I am very happy with 1080p quality, but my framerates are starting to lag. I'd like an increase in FR to be able to run my games at the higher settings without stuttering, screen tear, or low FR.

If I were to update the CPU and GPU what would be the best combination? Should I look at a new MOBO as well?

Initially I was thinking of going for a 2060 gpu but I'm not sure. This will likely be the only upgrade I'll get to do for the next 3-5 years or so so I'd like to future proof as much as possible. If that means waiting to save a bit more to do more sweeping changes I'll take that under advisement.

Thanks for your response!

Huh? G-sync has been capable on ALL Nvidia gaming graphics cards since the GTX 650.

Is is absolutely compatible with your GTX 970, no question at all. Doesn't matter what model of GTX 970 it is, Maxwell is compatible across the board from GTX 950 up to Titan.

I would recommend that you do a CLEAN install of your graphics drivers, using the DDU, as outlined at the link below, as well as making sure that you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version for your motherboard.

From what I'm seeing, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that that, or any given monitor doesn't support G-sync on cards older than a certain generation. G-sync is G-sync, regardless of monitor (As long as it IS a G-sync model) or graphics card (As long as it DOES support G-sync). The only indications I can see of the claim that it doesn't is from what are clearly people who don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about, unless you have some other reputable source that indicates otherwise.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

And last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates, it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

Geraki

Reputable
Mar 12, 2016
Huh? G-sync has been capable on ALL Nvidia gaming graphics cards since the GTX 650.

Is is absolutely compatible with your GTX 970, no question at all. Doesn't matter what model of GTX 970 it is, Maxwell is compatible across the board from GTX 950 up to Titan.

I would recommend that you do a CLEAN install of your graphics drivers, using the DDU, as outlined at the link below, as well as making sure that you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version for your motherboard.

From what I'm seeing, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that that, or any given monitor doesn't support G-sync on cards older than a certain generation. G-sync is G-sync, regardless of monitor (As long as it IS a G-sync model) or graphics card (As long as it DOES support G-sync). The only indications I can see of the claim that it doesn't is from what are clearly people who don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about, unless you have some other reputable source that indicates otherwise.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Graphics card driver CLEAN install guide using the Wagnard tools DDU

And last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates, it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way
I'll follow your steps listed here and see how things stack up performance wise. You mentioned that the 6600k and the 970 are both getting long in tooth. Let's say I decide to upgrade, do you have a suggestion for a combination that I should shoot for that will fit my current MOBO?

Thank you again for your replies. It's kind people like you that make me continue to frequent Tom's Hardware.

I'd say doing something like this, now, and then a platform change of motherboard, CPU and memory later, would be a good idea. Also, when you do the platform upgrade I'd replace that memory and just sell what you have now or use it for a secondary system. It is far too slow to be used with anything current and would seriously hamper the system performance. In fact, it's probably hampering your system performance NOW, as it stands.

Ok, well, I WAS going to put a link for an RTX 2060 Super here, because that would be a superb upgrade for any 1080p system where somebody wants to be able to see Ultra settings and high FPS/refresh rate gaming, and it is still a good option, but honestly, at this stage in the game, waiting for the RTX 3060 which should be coming between now and the end of the year, might really be the much better option since it will offer even higher performance for around the same money but MORE importantly, it will likely have some effect on the reduction of price on existing RTX 2060, 2060 KO and 2060 Super graphics cards, which are all anybody really needs for ultra 1080p settings. The higher frame rates will largely be determined by the CPU though.

Reactions: Geraki
Solution

TRENDING THREADS