[SOLVED] What should I upgrade in my desktop to get it running smooth again?

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
I bought all the components to build my first PC in 2017 which are all listed here (I think this is all the important stuff) -

NZXT CA-S340MB-GR Tower
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E Mobo
EVGA 650W PSU
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU
Cryorig CR-H7A Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
GTX 1070 GPU

Last year I upgraded my GPU to RTX 2070.

There are no glaring issues but I have noticed games like Overwatch and New World have been struggling to perform a bit lately. (I also got a 4k monitor along with the GPU upgrade so I now have two monitors, 1080p and 4k). I'm unsure what might be causing the decline in performance, or whether its a mix of things.

I'm wondering what to do, or whether I should blow my student loan on getting an almost entirely new PC.

Thanks for any help, I hope I've provided enough info but I can get more details if requested. I just need some guidance.

Solution
This is the results -
UserBenchmarks: Game 110%, Desk 94%, Work 93%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K - 93.3%
GPU: Intel HD 630 (Desktop Kaby Lake) - 6.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 121.6%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 111.5%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 94.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 1x8GB - 39.5%
MBD: Asus STRIX Z270E GAMING

The link to results - Asus STRIX Z270E GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

I had just optimised drives as the other person suggested so I'm unsure whether that has made any difference yet. It all looks okay as far as I'm aware. I'll do some testing now though. Thanks for the response!

UPDATE - Overwatch seems to be working smoothly now! Perhaps it was my drives after all. I have them on...

Remeca

Reputable
Are you running off a HDD? Should definitely have an SSD for the OS, at least. If so, and you are gaming in 4k, I'd say upgrade the GPU, and maybe a new PSU to keep up with the new power requirements of a more powerful GPU.

I bought all the components to build my first PC in 2017 which are all listed here (I think this is all the important stuff) -

NZXT CA-S340MB-GR Tower
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E Mobo
EVGA 650W PSU
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU
Cryorig CR-H7A Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
GTX 1070 GPU

Last year I upgraded my GPU to RTX 2070.

There are no glaring issues but I have noticed games like Overwatch and New World have been struggling to perform a bit lately. (I also got a 4k monitor along with the GPU upgrade so I now have two monitors, 1080p and 4k). I'm unsure what might be causing the decline in performance, or whether its a mix of things.

I'm wondering what to do, or whether I should blow my student loan on getting an almost entirely new PC.

Thanks for any help, I hope I've provided enough info but I can get more details if requested. I just need some guidance.
Run this and post a link to the results.

PC Benchmark

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
Run this and post a link to the results.

PC Benchmark

This is the results -

The link to results - Asus STRIX Z270E GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

I had just optimised drives as the other person suggested so I'm unsure whether that has made any difference yet. It all looks okay as far as I'm aware. I'll do some testing now though. Thanks for the response!

UPDATE - Overwatch seems to be working smoothly now! Perhaps it was my drives after all. I have them on auto analyse but obviously they don't defragment every week which I thought they did.

Last edited:
This is the results -

UPDATE - Overwatch seems to be working smoothly now! Perhaps it was my drives after all. I have them on auto analyse but obviously they don't defragment every week which I thought they did.
Look around in the bios and enable xmp.
That should give a little perf bump.

Reactions: Sebubble
Solution

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
Hmmm I'm curious as to why the benchmark is only picking up 1 of your 2 ram sticks-can you make sure its seated properly or even working at all?
Apologies for posting in here again. I got it working smoothly to some degree so figured it was fixed and didn't come back on here to see this response. I finally noticed this myself and tried reinstalling them... but now the DRAM light is orange on my motherboard and neither of my monitors are detecting anything. I can't get my computer back on and I'm really stuck!

Last edited:
Apologies for posting in here again. I got it working smoothly to some degree so figured it was fixed and didn't come back on here to see this response. I finally noticed this myself and tried reinstalling them... but now the DRAM light is orange on my motherboard and neither of my monitors are detecting anything. I can't get my computer back on and I'm really stuck!