What should I upgrade my 4460 into?

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
My current build is gtx 960 4gb, 8gb ddr3 1600, i5 4460, h81m-k (aware i can't OC). So what do I do? Ryzen 5 just launched and they look tasty. Initially I thought I could oc and was bang on going for the 4690k, but I can't now. So, truly, what do I do? I was thinking 7600k, oc it. Someone also mentioned maybe get the 6600k, it will be cheaper in terms of the board and ram and stuff. So what should I do? Will prices further drop of 6600/7600k? Or should I go the path of Ryzen. Keep in mind. Budget is not an issue, as I'm willing to asses my different options, regardless of the price, I'm looking to find out the best value I can get rn. I'm from the czech republic, so keep in mind, prices are not the same, as low as the US. Thanks!

Solution
Actually many people say you can't see more than the refresh rate of your monitor, because it's true. The reason most people want a lot more than the refresh rate of your monitor, is because if your fps drops in the game, it wouldn't cause any lag, as it would still not drop below the refresh rate of the monitor. If your getting more than 100 fps than the refresh rate of your monitor, anything more is just useless. If you feel like you are getting a smoother experience by having so much more fps, the only thing you are experiencing is the Placebo effect. But by all means, if you feel like you need more fps, go for it, its only your valuable hard earned money you will be using.

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
yeah, unless you plan on upgrading the gpu soon you dont really need to worry about the cpu. but if you do upgrade the cpu, in your case id just go with a 4790 rather than building a whole new build.

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

well, i play mainly csgo, LoL & PUGB, csgo is the main point, and far as I know, the cpu is why I can't get 300fps or close, benchmarked @ 250 but in game, it's never close to 250 while in fights, etc. Regardless, what GPU would you recommend?

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
if your gpu is running at 100%(and it should be) upgrading the cpu isnt going to get you anymore fps. that cpu shouldnt be bottlenecking a 960. if you just want to play those games at a higher frame rate and arent interested in more demanding games a rx 470 is a good choice for a gpu and will do you more good than upgrading the cpu while sticking with the 960.

I'd recommend a GTX 1060. However, if your frame rate isn't going below abut 200, you should not feel a performance difference even if you get another 200 fps. The extra fps is only going to cause screen tear. (which can be solved if you have a G-sync or FreeSync monitor)

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Honestly, 300 is what i cap my fps at (only csgo) as its crucial. Ive seen many people say u dont need more than 144 because u cant see it blablah u can see it and its a big part of csgo to hAve atleast 300fps

Actually many people say you can't see more than the refresh rate of your monitor, because it's true. The reason most people want a lot more than the refresh rate of your monitor, is because if your fps drops in the game, it wouldn't cause any lag, as it would still not drop below the refresh rate of the monitor. If your getting more than 100 fps than the refresh rate of your monitor, anything more is just useless. If you feel like you are getting a smoother experience by having so much more fps, the only thing you are experiencing is the Placebo effect. But by all means, if you feel like you need more fps, go for it, its only your valuable hard earned money you will be using.

Solution

difuzion

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Yeah i love this answer from any it genius i always hear the same answer but until you play the game competitively for 9years you wont appreciate the smoothness and difference of 250fps and 300+fps go on say placebo or whatever

Alrighty then, if you feel like its smoother, go for it. I haven't played CS:GO much, maybe your right,