Question What should i upgrade my cpu to? I5 6400, h110m ds2 ddr3 mobo

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hello guys, currently i have an i5 6400 and the motherboard is h110 ds2 ddr3. The maximum cpu that it can support is i7 7700k or i7 7700. So would it be wise to upgrade my i5 for one of those two that i mentioned or is there a better value for a cpu that fits my mobo?I have an RX 580 but people told me to upgrade the gpu instead but wouldnt that be bottlenecking for my i5 6400?

My main purpose to upgrade is to gain extra fps and maybe add a new cpu cooler. What is a decent cpu cooler to go with suggested cpu as well? I'm looking for an easy to install and effective cooler

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
First, make sure you update your bios BEFORE putting a 7 series CPU in there. They will run on that board, but they need a bios update unless you've already done that.

The 6400 isn't that bad of a CPU. The 7700K is a good upgrade if you need more threads. Which is the way we are moving. The 580 isn't a bad GPU either. As long as you are staying at 1080 it should perform quite well for that task. If you are trying to game at 4k with the 580 I'd upgrade the GPU and not the CPU. Which you upgrade really just depends on what you are trying to do.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what are your full specs? monitor and PSU please.

the extra FPS will depend on the game, which games need improvement?
update BIOS before installing a 7th gen CPU. that board cannot OC a k series, FYI.
I'm a fan of the deepcool Gammaxx. cool, quiet and cheap.

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
First, make sure you update your bios BEFORE putting a 7 series CPU in there. They will run on that board, but they need a bios update unless you've already done that.

The 6400 isn't that bad of a CPU. The 7700K is a good upgrade if you need more threads. Which is the way we are moving. The 580 isn't a bad GPU either. As long as you are staying at 1080 it should perform quite well for that task. If you are trying to game at 4k with the 580 I'd upgrade the GPU and not the CPU. Which you upgrade really just depends on what you are trying to do.
Right now i only have a 1080p 76hz monitor but may i ask why would it be better to upgrade the gpu but not the cpu if i want to game on 4k? If so does that mean the i5 6400 is still capable and i can just upgrade my gpu to some higher cards like rtx if i want sone extra fps? I've been told to upgrade gpu to increase fps too but why wouldnt upgrading my cpu be better?

I mainly want to upgrade to increase gaming performance or fps as the game i'm playing (red dead 2) can sometimes dips to 40 fps in certain places and i might want the game to get to 76 fps for the refresh rate

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
at higher resolutions the GPU takes the brunt of the workload. lower resolutions tax the CPU more.
some games are CPU dependant and will respond better if you give it what it needs. some games are GPU dependant and will respond with a better GPU.
the 6400 is capable enough if gaming is your main concern, 4 solid cores. the 7700 would add SMT increasing the thread count from 4 to 8. the extra threads would allow gaming AND computing. you can game AND do other things at the same time, streaming for example.

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
what are your full specs? monitor and PSU please.

the extra FPS will depend on the game, which games need improvement?
update BIOS before installing a 7th gen CPU. that board cannot OC a k series, FYI.
I'm a fan of the deepcool Gammaxx. cool, quiet and cheap.
PSU: 750w (Corsair i think, sry that i couldnt be specific as im not on my computer now)
Ram: 16gb
Monitor: dell e22xxhn (again i couldnt remember it specificly but its a 1080p 60hz monitor that i OC-ed to 76hz)

The game is Red Dead Redemption 2.

If your objective is higher fps, then you need to find your current limiting factor.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

If you need faster core speed, the i7-7700K is a decent option, even if you can not overclock on your motherboard. A used 7700K runs about $200-$250 on ebay.

If you simply need more threads, then either 7700 or 7700K will be a decent upgrade.

If you need more than what a 7700/k can offer, then you are looking at a platform change that will entail not only a processor change to ryzen 3000 or intel 9th gen but also a motherboard and ddr4 change.

I think with a 7700/k upgrade, a better than stock cooler would be a good thing.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should suffice.
If you have 160mm available in your case, there are many very good options.

What Is the make/model of your psu?
That is what will determine your graphics card upgrade options.

Your RX580 is a power hungry card.
If your psu can handle it, it should also be able to handle a graphics upgrade like a RTX2070 or RX5700

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
If your objective is higher fps, then you need to find your current limiting factor.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

If you need faster core speed, the i7-7700K is a decent option, even if you can not overclock on your motherboard. A used 7700K runs about $200-$250 on ebay.

If you simply need more threads, then either 7700 or 7700K will be a decent upgrade.

If you need more than what a 7700/k can offer, then you are looking at a platform change that will entail not only a processor change to ryzen 3000 or intel 9th gen but also a motherboard and ddr4 change.

I think with a 7700/k upgrade, a better than stock cooler would be a good thing.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should suffice.
If you have 160mm available in your case, there are many very good options.

What Is the make/model of your psu?
That is what will determine your graphics card upgrade options.

Your RX580 is a power hungry card.
If your psu can handle it, it should also be able to handle a graphics upgrade like a RTX2070 or RX5700
Oh yes, i noticed that sometimes when i lowered my settings, i dont seem to get much more fps (i only noticed it on red dead 2 though but not many other games) and also i currently play red dead 2 online.

I have a corsair 750w psu.

My previous gpu before the rx 580 was a r9 380 so i guess my psu can handle those gpu you mentioned? And would upgrading my rx 580 to rtx2070 or rx 5700 give me more fps?

If i do want more threads for multiplayer then should i go for the 7700 or 7700k? Or is there a better value cpu for that mobo of mine? What would be a suitable, easy to install cooler for the new cpu?

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
https://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/red-dead-redemption-2/16908
should be fine with your current specs. you beat the suggested specs by a bit
The specs is fine but the real time performance is where it's at but i experience fps drops and fluctations from time to time varying on the circumstances of the game.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
is the label on the PSU green and black?
the 7700k has a higher stock frequency than the 7700. the k series can be overclocked as well. as you cannot overclock the price difference will come down to the base clock frequency and if it is worth it to you.
honestly for the price of the 7700 you could get all this
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $288.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 11:56 EST-0500

more threads, overclocking, DDR4, and performance within spitting distance of the 7700 with an upgrade path to boot.
for the gist, the general idea.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3887vs3957

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
the 7700k has a higher stock frequency than the 7700. the k series can be overclocked as well. as you cannot overclock the price difference will come down to the base clock frequency and if it is worth it to you.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)

more threads, overclocking, DDR4, and performance within spitting distance of the 7700 with an upgrade path to boot.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3887vs3957
Hmm yours seems like a better idea. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep that in mind

nathanpark3r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
PCPartPicker Part List

Also is there a cheaper combination of cpu, cpu cooler, mobo and ram than this one? Currently i have a rx 580

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for the gist again. fewer cores at higher clocks
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/3887vs3956

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $258.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 14:04 EST-0500

cooler is optional, CPU comes with a cooler.