[SOLVED] What should I upgrade next for more FPS ?

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I am just trying to get help or advice on what I should upgrade next with a budget of around $300-400.00 …
I am getting decent FPS already after upgrading my CPU & cooler a few months ago, but I since have upgraded to a 1920x1080 240hz monitor and want to get the absolute most out of it.

I have heard that upgrading my DDR4 RAM to 3600MHz over 3000MHz will make a big difference but maybe I’m wrong - I will list the specs below, thanks!!

Specifications:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core @ 3.70GHz

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX Vega 56(8GB) - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

Memory - OLOy RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz CL16

Storage -
#1) 2TB - Hitachi HUS724020ALA640 HDD

#2) Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB

#3) PNY CS900 500GB SATA SSD

Power Supply - ARESGAME 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze (AGV750)

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Motherboard - ASRock B450 Pro4

CPU Cooling System - ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Fans - x6 GIM KB-28 RGB Case Fans 120mm

Case - Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Case w/ Tempered Glass

Solution
I notice a complete difference in visuals as well as fps when I download games to my HDD vs either SSD honestly. Thanks!
having a separate high speed drive for game installations can help with some aspects of some games.
can offer faster startup times, map loading, texture\model loading, and other aspects that can sometimes lead to slightly higher fps.
currently using a 4TB SATA III SSD for game installations and ~150 games takes up ~3.25TB.
you may want to consider this when thinking about how many games you own and may purchase in the next couple years vs the size of the drive you may be seeking.

did multiple tests with games installed on a NVMe 2280 M.2 vs the 2.5" SATA III SSD
and found zero performance(fps)...
really not much else to do except get a nice graphics card.
and that's not a very viable option right now unless you get very lucky or just like to throw money away.

having a separate high speed drive for game installations can help with some aspects of some games.
can offer faster startup times, map loading, texture\model loading, and other aspects that can sometimes lead to slightly higher fps.

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
really not much else to do except get a nice graphics card.
and that's not a very viable option right now unless you get very lucky or just like to throw money away.

Well yeah I definitely understand that I need a better graphics card. The Vega 56 is actually better than some people think when it’s paired with a decent gpu. I just say that based off of what other people have said by minimizing its capabilities haha.
Anyway, yeah that’s why I asked if there’s anything else I should do besides a graphics card for 2 grand

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Maybe grab a 2tb ssd that you can use for your games. Then you’re already set. I think the Vega 56 is about 1070 territory. Which isn’t bad considering today’s market.
I actually was considering this as well. I notice a complete difference in visuals as well as fps when I download games to my HDD vs either SSD honestly. Thanks!

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
With nothing that demands fixing right now, I wouldn't put any more money into this rig without updating the mediocre PSU with the ancient, group-regulated design. Certainly before fretting about a RAM upgrade.
Okay well if you could recommend me a specific PSU that isn't ancient and apparently problematic to my build, I would greatly appreciate it as I was looking into PSU's as well since a few different people have said this in the past as well.

I notice a complete difference in visuals as well as fps when I download games to my HDD vs either SSD honestly. Thanks!
currently using a 4TB SATA III SSD for game installations and ~150 games takes up ~3.25TB.
you may want to consider this when thinking about how many games you own and may purchase in the next couple years vs the size of the drive you may be seeking.

did multiple tests with games installed on a NVMe 2280 M.2 vs the 2.5" SATA III SSD
and found zero performance(fps) difference in-game between the drives.
so if you can get a larger SATA III vs M.2 for less money, go for the larger drive.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Okay well if you could recommend me a specific PSU that isn't ancient and apparently problematic to my build, I would greatly appreciate it as I was looking into PSU's as well since a few different people have said this in the past as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($73.62 @ Amazon)
Total: $73.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-10 00:00 EDT-0400

This would work fine and is actually a pretty good deal; PSU prices appear to be coming down.

More than 650W if your future plans may involve a 3080 or something.

Reactions: DirtySZN

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a 5 series Ryzen. The best ram for them is 16Gb x2, because the 5 series actually have a use for dual rank ram, in dual channel, unlike the 3 series or prior which much prefer single rank ram in dual channel.

You can find 8Gb x2 dual rank in some kits, but not really in anything above 3000MHz, it takes a 16Gb stick to get dual rank at those speeds.

The 5 series are best off with 3800MHz, which can give an fclock of 1900, above that gets very trixy and stability is questionable at best. For value, this puts 3600MHz as the most popular, 3800MHz being more expensive than is warranted.

But timings are also important, and play an important factor in price. 3600/14 is astronomically high priced, 3600/16 is decent and the 3600/18+ is honestly no better than 3200/14 in the vast majority of games.

Fps is all about the cpu, and that has multiple factors such as cooling, ram speeds, ram timings, storage speeds, voltages, temps etc. Fine tuning all that is just as important as the hardware specs, more so in some cases, doing some homework and tweaking what you have is free and often will have better results than spending money on replacements.

Reactions: DirtySZN

TRENDING THREADS