What should I upgrade next?

Whagwan

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Question as in thread title.

Win 10 64
FX-6300 oc'd to 4.5Ghz (Hyper cooler)
8gb Ram (Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Red Vengeance Memory)
2x r9 280x crossfire
120GB SSD
480GB SSD
1tb Hard drive
24" 5ms 60Htz Samsung Monitor

System used for gaming and general PC use.

Wandering whether it's worth getting an FX-8370E in the meantime and then looking at a move to an i5 and new m/board, or just to straight move over to the i5 and new m/board.

Also having difficulties with my crossfire set up so playing plenty of games on a single r9 280x, would it be worth looking at a new GPU first?

Is 8GB of RAM still plenty for gaming?

Or should I be looking at upgrading my monitor?

Cheers!

You definitely have an upgrade path there with the 990, but I'm not sure if you'd see a whole lot more performance for just gaming going to a 8350/8370. An i5 would be the next step up, really.

Video card - a single 390 or 970 would probably be an improvement for you @ 1080p.

8 GB RAM is enough for games provided you don't leave tons of other stuff open in the background like I do.

Mxhawthy

Distinguished
Hello,

I would say upgrade to an i5 processor (the 4690k is good) alongside a Z97 motherboard of course, to allow overclocking.

Really not a fan of SLI or Crossfire, (unless you already have 1 card, and you see another with an amazing discount) as I find that one strong card always seems to perform better than 2 cards in SLI for the same overall price. SLI results in micro-stutters which are really annoying.

I would say to upgrade your GPU after you've got an i5 + motherboard.

8GBs of RAM is still more than fine in gaming, though it's probably a good idea to get another 8gb after you've upgraded your GPU, because then you will not have to worry about it for a long time, and also, there is nothing wrong with your storage drives or monitor (personal preference, I find that a 1080p monitor at around 24" is perfect for me) I never "upgrade" my monitors until they are broken, or there is a big benefit to upgrading.

Hope this helped :)