Question What should i upgrade next?

Jan 24, 2019
Hello there i've been working with this pc configuration for about 2 - 3 years now and am wondering what i should upgrade next i have a 500$ USD budget
PC Specs:

CPU: intel I5 760 at 2.9Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte G Gaming gtx 1060 6gb at 1985mhz and ram speed at 4000mhz
RAM: 16GB ddr3 1333 Mhz
PSU: 650W 80+ bronze from corsair
CPU COOLING: Captain240ex white aio
CASE: Corsair carbide spec 06
Motherboard is stock from prebuilt 2009 pc so unkown manufacturer

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
If you ask me, you should consider changing your CPU, motherboard and RAM.
ryzen processors are not that expensive to be honest.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbqBb

Something like this would be good if you ask me ^
You have an old processor, slow memory as well.
And consider changing the power supply if it is too old.

I'd say something like a B360 motherboard, i5 8400 CPU and 16GB DDR4 RAM. Keep the case, cooler and GPU. You should also get an 80+ Gold PSU 650w. The money you have left over can go on a new game, and you should still $100 at least left.

Jan 24, 2019
If you ask me, you should consider changing your CPU, motherboard and RAM.
ryzen processors are not that expensive to be honest.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbqBb

Something like this would be good if you ask me ^
You have an old processor, slow memory as well.
And consider changing the power supply if it is too old.
hmmmm its nice but im a intel fan and would rather die then go ryzen XD no offense to anyone its just my personal preference, i've found at least for me intel cpus are more reliable and give more stable fps in certain games i play. i tested a ryzen build once and the fps was just going up and down constantly between 62 - 74 when with my own current setup my fps only fluctuates between 58 - 62 and if i get past that fps it really doesnt change much at all, it usually sits around 3 fps difference if its past 60. and i've had no issues ever with my power supply so i think im gonna stick with it

Jan 24, 2019
I'd say something like a B360 motherboard, i5 8400 CPU and 16GB DDR4 RAM. Keep the case, cooler and GPU. You should also get an 80+ Gold PSU 650w. The money you have left over can go on a new game, and you should still $100 at least left.
and as for you: i5 8400 isnt really the best bang for buck i mean i could get an i5 9400F which offers same if not better performance for 50 some dollars less and i dont like B360 motherboards i've been looking into getting a Z370 or Z390 board, i've found some new on amazon for around 110$ - 120$ and as for PSU i dont feel i should get another one as i stated to iMatty i have had no problems with mine what so ever and dont feel buying a whole new one would justify the extra money spent on it as for ram i can agree but i feel i should squeeze in an extra 16gb kit to make it 32gb as i multitask with my pc 100% of the time and i stream from it as well and feel the more ram would really help out in those aspects as well as just having more for games to use like rust it loves ram or Ark survival evolved its also pretty ram heavy. and im not interested in getting more games my steam library already exceeds 180 games on it including triple a titles such as gta 5, rainbow six siege, assassins creed origins, mordhau, the division 2, and ghost recon wildlands and many more

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well the 9400F is not overclockable thats one of the issues, and for the ram you shouldn;t really add anymore having 32GB is overkill if you ask me.
And you are probably not begin able to overclock your ram from what it is now because your motherboard is not supporting that much overclocking for it.
If you are going for intel i would recommend going all out from now like a 8700k and a good board with beefy GPU will keep you alive for another 5 or 6 years if you ask me.
And for your power supply trust me, its a bronze power supply i wouldn't trust a bronze budget power supply with a high-end/gaming rig.
I had a CX 750W power supply that fried my GPU.

Reactions: ConanLock
Jan 24, 2019
Well the 9400F is not overclockable thats one of the issues, and for the ram you shouldn;t really add anymore having 32GB is overkill if you ask me.
And you are probably not begin able to overclock your ram from what it is now because your motherboard is not supporting that much overclocking for it.
If you are going for intel i would recommend going all out from now like a 8700k and a good board with beefy GPU will keep you alive for another 5 or 6 years if you ask me.
And for your power supply trust me, its a bronze power supply i wouldn't trust a bronze budget power supply with a high-end/gaming rig.
I had a CX 750W power supply that fried my GPU.
the i5 9400F does not overclock however it boosts up to 4.1ghz although its actually more like 3.9ghz and on any Z motherboard you can overclock your ram even past what the cpu supports just about every tech youtuber out there does it Z370's and 90's are meant for oveclocking and is good incase i decide to get say a i7 8700K or 9700K and with the load i put on my pc 32gb of ram is better as my pc chokes with 16gb ram right now and just because you cant trust bronze rated doesnt mean it cant handle the task, like i already said mine has been working for 2 - 3 years and not once has it had a single issue and what you call "budget" is sometimes actually better then gold rated and honestly its the part i trust most in my current build and to be fair im not looking for overclocking cpu's right now and i've done the research on 9400F's all pro's and cons and for what i do which is heavy workload and gaming with video editing, animating, constantly having chrome run in the background with 45+ pages open plus coding and game designing and steaming i dont want speed i want a good work horse that can handle what i throw at it without it slowing everything else down which from my 2 weeks of research the 9400F can get the job done nicely

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
It goes back to you either you decided to buy a gold power supply or not, but if it burns or fries your computer you are more than welcome to post another post on how to fix it.
None the less, I have never seen a PC choke with 16gb of ram unless you have 500 chrome tabs opened.
Boosting to 4.1ghz is not a great important while you could easily get higher with a 8700k or something.

Jan 24, 2019
and my pc only chokes when it comes to gaming my ram's average usage is 10gb constantly and when i game it uses up the last of my ram

Jan 24, 2019
and also no offense here but it kind of makes me angry when i here people use the term "budget" as to something being unreliable JayzTwoCents made a video talking about how just because something is budget doesnt mean its bad and budget the term simply refers to the max amount of money you have to allocate to certain things in which my "budget" PSU is from corsair which has a 5 year warranty on it which now still stands for another 2 - 3 years

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
It is a CX series power supply, if its the green labeled one everyone knows its that bad in terms of supplying power, yeah it will live for 3-4 years but it will die in one unexpected timing and fry something.
That is what i learnt to never buy such low priced power supplies.
having a supernova g2 is much more stable and better in my case.

Jan 24, 2019
It is a CX series power supply, if its the green labeled one everyone knows its that bad in terms of supplying power, yeah it will live for 3-4 years but it will die in one unexpected timing and fry something.
That is what i learnt to never buy such low priced power supplies.
having a supernova g2 is much more stable and better in my case.
no its not green labeled, it is the white labeled 60$ one and this is proven to last a long time heres a review on it from this site https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-11.html|
P.S it has a 5 year warranty not a 4 year warranty