[SOLVED] What should i upgrade on my PC for better performance? (GAMING)

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
Fortnite still stutters and ive applied almost every setting from fixes found online. My specs:

Wanting to upgrade my Aurora R7 because i've seemed to try all fps boosts on it with minimal success. Fortnite still stutters and lags and i have a 1gig up and down internet connection (wired).

I currently have:

a 144hz monitor with Gsync on

GTX 1070 6gig (currently overclocked)

intel i5 8400 (cannot overclock)

and 16gb of ram

Suggestions?

Solution
I don't have experience with fortnite, but I owned an i5-8400 before I returned it and bought an i7-9700k instead.

If you're aiming for 144 fps, high CPU core clocks are essential to prevent CPU-related bottlenecks.

I'm guessing this is the problem because your GPU and RAM both look good and you also have G-sync to help smooth out graphical hicups. The only likely reason you'd be getting stutters at this point is due to not having enough threads (i5-8400 is 6 cores, 6 threads) and so-so single thread boost clocks.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Fortnite still stutters and ive applied almost every setting from fixes found online. My specs:

Wanting to upgrade my Aurora R7 because i've seemed to try all fps boosts on it with minimal success. Fortnite still stutters and lags and i have a 1gig up and down internet connection (wired).

I currently have:

a 144hz monitor with Gsync on

GTX 1070 6gig (currently overclocked)

intel i5 8400 (cannot overclock)

and 16gb of ram

Suggestions?
Check something. go to Task Manager > Performance> Open Resource Monitor> Memory Tab. Take a look at the Free Space is it close ZERO? If so try this Youtube Video

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
Open up your pc and look at the ram. Do you see 1 stick or 2? Or if you don’t wanna do that, download CPU-Z and send a screenshot of the “memory” tab
Open up your pc and look at the ram. Do you see 1 stick or 2? Or if you don’t wanna do that, download CPU-Z and send a screenshot of the “memory” tab
Check something. go to Task Manager > Performance> Open Resource Monitor> Memory Tab. Take a look at the Free Space is it close ZERO? If so try this Youtube Video

just watched this and applied it, going to give it a go and see if it helps.

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015

cant get the snip to past into thread but there are two sticks because i bought one and one came with the system. got 16gig ram

I don't have experience with fortnite, but I owned an i5-8400 before I returned it and bought an i7-9700k instead.

If you're aiming for 144 fps, high CPU core clocks are essential to prevent CPU-related bottlenecks.

I'm guessing this is the problem because your GPU and RAM both look good and you also have G-sync to help smooth out graphical hicups. The only likely reason you'd be getting stutters at this point is due to not having enough threads (i5-8400 is 6 cores, 6 threads) and so-so single thread boost clocks.

Solution

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
You need to upload the image to IMGUR then use the link there to post here.

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade my CPU to? I've been told the max my pc will work with is the i7-8086K

Its an Alienware motherboard?

I mean, do you know what model it is? Because generally speaking Intel motherboards are compatible with two generations of CPUs. I have a MSI Z390 motherboard. When I bought it, I bought an i5-8400. When that wasn't enough, I found out that I could install a 9th gen Intel CPU which is why I ended up with an i7-9700k. Same motherboard, different gen CPU.

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
I mean, do you know what model it is? Because generally speaking Intel motherboards are compatible with two generations of CPUs. I have a MSI Z390 motherboard. When I bought it, I bought an i5-8400. When that wasn't enough, I found out that I could install a 9th gen Intel CPU which is why I ended up with an i7-9700k. Same motherboard, different gen CPU.

it just says alienware 0VDT73

it just says alienware 0VDT73

I poked around a bit, and yeah, it seems like the best you can do is either a 8700k or a 8086; 9th gen is not compatible. I guess that is one of the limitations that come with a prebuilt.

Having twice the threads (12 vs 6) and higher boost clocks should help with your stuttering. Depending on your current CPU cooler, whether or not you plan to (or are able to) overclock and what can fit inside your case, it might be worth looking into a more robust CPU cooler as well in order to help keep temps down and help you sustain higher boost clocks.

Ivel_brocksmith

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
I poked around a bit, and yeah, it seems like the best you can do is either a 8700k or a 8086; 9th gen is not compatible. I guess that is one of the limitations that come with a prebuilt.

Having twice the threads (12 vs 6) and higher boost clocks should help with your stuttering. Depending on your current CPU cooler, whether or not you plan to (or are able to) overclock and what can fit inside your case, it might be worth looking into a more robust CPU cooler as well in order to help keep temps down and help you sustain higher boost clocks.

PSU: 460w apfc psu liquid cooled chassis