What should i upgrade on my PC(mostly for gaming)

Saturnman

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to hardware but i use my PC a lot for gaming,so now that the new consoles are out i wanna get ready for the "next-gen" games.Here are my specs:

Motherboard:Asus P5K Premium
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz
RAM:4Gb DDR2 (2x2)
GPU:AMD Radeon HD 6950 2Gb

So my question would be what do you think i should go for?I'm planning to go for more memory,but what about my motherboard/CPU?Do you think they will be able to handle future games or should i immediately change them?

I usually like to play games on high settings but i don't mind not getting the highest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance :)

Konnefke

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
getting RAM upgrade won't help alot, as you are using DDR2.
getting DDR2 RAM is difficult these days is it is outdated, so your motherbord seems to be a bit outdated.

you could upgrade by buying a new motherboard,RAM and proccesor (your graphics card should be fine) .

as this is a quite big upgrade, you could make a new pc, take your graphics card out (for your 'good' gaming pc) and use the older one for diffrent aplications , like Server or a gift to family.

The CPU you have is pretty good but it is old. I upgraded from a QX6800 to a 2500K and it was a massive change.

I think you need a new motherboard and CPU as your is a bit older. I did have the P5K-E which I will say the P5K series was a great setup. The GPU is ok and could also use a upgrade but I would say first and foremost you should get at least a i5 4670 and a decent Asus motherboard. Do you have any price limits?

Saturnman

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
First of all,thanks for the answers.

a)About RAM,i guess i can just replace with a new DDR3 completely.I'm thinking 8Gb.

b)jimmysmitty:Right now i would limit my price budget to around 350$ so i need to set my priorities.Do you think my motherboard/cpu can keep me going for a little bit more?Maybe replace the RAM first?If not, do you have any good picks for a motherboard/cpu i could use?