What should i upgrade on my PC next?

Mar 7, 2018
Hello, i was wondering what i should upgrade on my pc next. not having issues with it apart from when i play games like black desert online i get between 30/60 fps and i dont think this should be happening with a pc of this quality (im not very tech smart thats why im asking you guys for advice as im confused as to what could be slowing me down i thought maybe my hard drive but i dont actually think that should effect my fps in a mmorpg, well see regardless)

(I HAVE NO BUDGET) ;) but dont go crazy im looking for the next suitable upgrade... that being said im happy to upgrade multiple parts, thanks!

My specs:
MSI 1070 OC (gpu)
intel i7 4790k (cpu)
16gb 1600mhz ddr3G.skill ripjaws memory (ram)
Cooler master fan cooling 2 top 2 front 1 bottom 1 back
MSI B85M (mother board)
COUGAR 750Watt PSU (psu)
2 terrabyte seagate SATA3 HDD (hard-drive)
(Green viper mid tower case) (case)

All answers are much appreciated,
MadStrategy,

Solution
samsung 850 or the samsung 860. (the 860 replaces the 850 but theres still 850 stock around and you might get a good price)
Also there high end NVME ssds such as the 960 evo & 960 pro. (for most conusmer workload and gaming they dont make a noticable difference (thus not worth the extra price - unless you got $$)
Also consider a crucial mx500 - as reliable but marginally slower & cheaper than the samsungs.

Ideally you want to run your o/s and all programs & games from SSD(s) and just use HDDs for media storage and playback (movies, music, photos etc)
Some people just get one big one, others get a 250gb drive for o/s & office, chrome, etc & have another larger one for their programes and games.
doesnt really matter.

Regarding...
Mar 7, 2018
All my GPU usage is around 35/40% and its running at optimal temps of around 50/60 (as soon as it activates fans when it goes over the temp drops straight back down) My cpu im unsure how to check but i think its running fine that said maybe its getting abit hot but would that effect fps atm? its not over heating for sure *also ive had the same pc foralmsot 2 years and i've been upgrading it throughout this time and keeping it very clean*

Mar 7, 2018

hey man do you really think an ssd would change my fps issues though? also at the moment with the huge fps issues im having im worried my pc couldnt handle an upgraded monitor (its something i've always wanted) thats why i got a 1070 im so confused why a pc of this grade would lag like this after i've put so much money into it for the monitor upgrade :"(

fredfinks

Honorable
No. i dont know that game but i assume youre running at 1080p and that the game's power requirements are just like a usual new AAA title (not like ghost wildlands which is very intensive).

Do what vapour suggests. You should be getting more than that. (basically a 1070 should give 60+ fps at 1080p)

An ssd drastically improves gernal pc responsiveness, opening files, opening programs etc. It also helps a lot of games with load times (say loading an area mid play) , also saving & loading savegames.
But it will not give you more fps.

Mar 7, 2018

Okay mate thankyou so much ill look into getting an ssd is there any you suggest like maybe 1 high end 1 all round and 1 budget for me to look at? also you think my pc should be capable of running a 34inch monitor with ease?

fredfinks

Honorable
samsung 850 or the samsung 860. (the 860 replaces the 850 but theres still 850 stock around and you might get a good price)
Also there high end NVME ssds such as the 960 evo & 960 pro. (for most conusmer workload and gaming they dont make a noticable difference (thus not worth the extra price - unless you got $$)
Also consider a crucial mx500 - as reliable but marginally slower & cheaper than the samsungs.

Ideally you want to run your o/s and all programs & games from SSD(s) and just use HDDs for media storage and playback (movies, music, photos etc)
Some people just get one big one, others get a 250gb drive for o/s & office, chrome, etc & have another larger one for their programes and games.
doesnt really matter.

Regarding monitor, i recommend the 32" 16:9, its got larger screen area than a 34" 21:9 and is much more practical for all other pc use, web, video, work.
Consider that a 34" has only 27" usable area with 16:9 content. Which is most common.

Its 1440p. the 1070 may struggle with intensive games at max settings, but a few minor adjustments to settings you hardly notice. Put it this way your 1070 is decent amount faster than a 980 , which is what i ahd when i made the transition to 1440p.
It will be the best thing you can do. Going to a large 32" 1440p monitor has been the single best thing in pc gaming ive ever experienced (previous best was seeing wolfenstein 3d and the wow factor of getting a 3dfx voodoo back in 97)

Also the monitor i paid a lot for is only $380 on amazon. samsung s32d850t. Its a quality business build from samsung. 3 year warranty

Solution

TRENDING THREADS