[SOLVED] What should i upgrade on my pc?

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
I do play games rdr2, cs go and stuff, but i also render in premiere pro.

i render big files like 20-30gb because i render it in high MBS so it takes about 1-2 hours to render those files.

what should i upgrade?

My pc:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16GB RAM
SSD 240GB
HDD 1TB and 500GB
Monitor Acer 21.5 inches 75hz

Solution
Well if Ryzen 3900X is out of your scope, then you could go with the Ryzen 3700X or the Ryzen 2700X.

But yeah as Rdslw wrote a better GPU (maybe something like an RTX 2060 super) and 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3200/3600MHz kit will be what I would aim for too.

But you didn't mention what motherboard and PSU you have. You have to be carefull and don't add those powerfull parts if the PSU is not powerfull enough.

Also knowing where you are in the world and whats your budget will make suggestions way easier.
Those render are heavy on all parts.
I assume you do it from HDD.
I think 1080 or 2070 GPU will be useful, above that
32 GB (3200+ MHZ!!!!) ram and Ryzen 3900x and above that NVME fast OS storage AND sata SSD for files, you currently work on....
More, less in that order.

Reactions: RodroX

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
Those render are heavy on all parts.
I assume you do it from HDD.
I think 1080 or 2070 GPU will be useful, above that
32 GB (3200+ MHZ!!!!) ram and Ryzen 3900x and above that NVME fast OS storage AND sata SSD for files, you currently work on....
More, less in that order.

I forgot to write i want as much performence/dollar as possible, i also know what ryzen 3900x is good, but i cant afford those stuff

Well if Ryzen 3900X is out of your scope, then you could go with the Ryzen 3700X or the Ryzen 2700X.

But yeah as Rdslw wrote a better GPU (maybe something like an RTX 2060 super) and 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3200/3600MHz kit will be what I would aim for too.

But you didn't mention what motherboard and PSU you have. You have to be carefull and don't add those powerfull parts if the PSU is not powerfull enough.

Also knowing where you are in the world and whats your budget will make suggestions way easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdslw
Solution
I forgot to write i want as much performence/dollar as possible, i also know what ryzen 3900x is good, but i cant afford those stuff
I assumed that, as you did not say you have 5000$ for a rig that renders 3 moves while you play BF5....
Still, 1080 should be most gain,
RAM might be low hanging fruit, check current ram/swap usage while you render, if it hits 12GB+ then OS slow it down to make sure you don't just fill it up, and then die.
maybe get another fan as 1h full load on both cpu and gpu will generate A LOT of heat.
dual SSD (os and current workdir) is another cheap stuff that should be helpful.
then it will be harder to get some gains cheaply.

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
Upgrade the GPU first of all. Go to a GTX1660 at least. (depends om your budget). Everything else is still fine in 2019-20. You could tell us your budget and whats your expectation from the pc. Gaming? Video editing?

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018

So my psu is corsair 850W Bronze
and my motherboard is b450

I can afford ryzen 7 2700x, but will there be enough gain to justify upgrading from this cpu to that cpu?

My budget for upgrade is 100$ but i will be selling my parts so keep that in mind, if i buy ryzen 2700x i will be selling my ryzen 5 2600x and so on

So my psu is corsair 850W Bronze
and my motherboard is b450

I can afford ryzen 7 2700x, but will there be enough gain to justify upgrading from this cpu to that cpu?

My budget for upgrade is 100$ but i will be selling my parts so keep that in mind, if i buy ryzen 2700x i will be selling my ryzen 5 2600x and so on

Well thats the thing, now that we know your budget the question is, Whats more important for you at this time, gaming or rendering?

At this point, I believe that the weakest link on your system is the GPU, so I would start there, any of the GPU already named here (GTX 1660/Super/Ti, RTX 2060, GTX 1080-if you can find one at a good price, and so on) will be a huge upgrade. But the question remains Whats more important for you at this time, gaming or rendering?

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
Well thats the thing, now that we know your budget the question is, Whats more important for you at this time, gaming or rendering?

At this point, I believe that the weakest link on your system is the GPU, so I would start there, any of the GPU already named here (GTX 1660/Super/Ti, RTX 2060, GTX 1080-if you can find one at a good price, and so on) will be a huge upgrade. But the question remains Whats more important for you at this time, gaming or rendering?

I don't know, i can play rdr 2 without any problems with my gpu, i was thinking about ram upgrade, i have 2X8 so i thougt i would add 2X8 and i would fill all of these ram slots, but will it make any difference?

ThilakRoX

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
I do play games rdr2, cs go and stuff, but i also render in premiere pro.

i render big files like 20-30gb because i render it in high MBS so it takes about 1-2 hours to render those files.

what should i upgrade?

My pc:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16GB RAM
SSD 240GB
HDD 1TB and 500GB
Monitor Acer 21.5 inches 75hz
what mobo u have?

RAM is a nice thing to have for rendering big files. This will help you avoid system trasnfer to hdd when runing out of RAM while rendering.

After that any upgrade will be welcome too. The most unbalanced part of your current system (for me) is the GPU. I really don't know what level of detail you use for Red Dead Redemtion 2, but Im guessing with the GTX 970 should be a mix of medium and low at 1080p at the most, to be able to get ~50 FPS on AVG and ~32 FPS on the 1% low. Unless you're playing on a mix of Medium and High details which will only make things worst with around 40FPS on AVG and ~25 on the 1% low. So yeah, a new GPU should be a nice upgrade.

As for why is better to only add 2 sticks of RAM, well because thats how memory work with Ryzen. And is also the best way to make sure you get dual channel to work. If you still wana get 2 extra sticks of ram (2x8GB), make sure you buy extactly the same brand and model of the ones you already own.

Cheers!

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
RAM is a nice thing to have for rendering big files. This will help you avoid system trasnfer to hdd when runing out of RAM while rendering.

After that any upgrade will be welcome too. The most unbalanced part of your current system (for me) is the GPU. I really don't know what level of detail you use for Red Dead Redemtion 2, but Im guessing with the GTX 970 should be a mix of medium and low at 1080p at the most, to be able to get ~50 FPS on AVG and ~32 FPS on the 1% low. Unless you're playing on a mix of Medium and High details which will only make things worst with around 40FPS on AVG and ~25 on the 1% low. So yeah, a new GPU should be a nice upgrade.

As for why is better to only add 2 sticks of RAM, well because thats how memory work with Ryzen. And is also the best way to make sure you get dual channel to work. If you still wana get 2 extra sticks of ram (2x8GB), make sure you buy extactly the same brand and model of the ones you already own.

Cheers!

Hi mate, i bought ryzen 7 2700x, i do not know why but while exporting files in premiere pro it only uses about 4-5GB ram, so i thought ram was not a problem and i went for more cores and more threads. I play rdr 2 with xbox one x settings, its a mix of ultra,high,medium and low. i got textures at ultra and game looks just fine. you can not max out rdr 2 even with really strong GPUS also i care a little more about exporting times than gaming.

I bought ryzen 7 2700x for 160$ its such a great price for decent single score performance and 8 core and 16 threads also cool cooler :D

Reactions: RodroX

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
Hi, glad to know.

So is it better now?, while rendering I mean.

It has not arrived yet, but when it does i will write if theres a big difference i think it i will be 20-30% better, but i always wanted to have really strong cpu. couple of years i had i3-2100 and really wanted to have something strong and powerful which i will have.