Question What should I upgrade on my prebuilt (If I can)?

May 31, 2022
I bought a prebuilt from CyberPower PC in 2017/18, and am struggling to run decent FPS on games I like playing (stuttering/freezing), is there something I can do to fix these issues within a $300 price range?

My specs are:
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 250 Series
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 16.0 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P FX

(If I missed any important information, apologies in advance)

DSzymborski

Titan
Are these games that previously worked or new ones? This wasn't even recent hardware in 2017 and was always very entry-level to begin with, so if the goal is to make it a PC that can comfortably play games in 2022, especially AAA ones, $300 is not going to get you very far.

You can squeeze some life out of this with a 1050 Ti or a 1650 non-Super, but that is about as far as you can push this 2012 platform, and even if a more powerful GPU made sense here, it's rare that Cyberpower provides a quality PSU on an entry-level rig (you did not provide this information).

Unfortunately the whole pc is very weak. Buying a pc based on a FX6300 in 2017/2018 was a terrible buy, this cpu was weak when it launched in 2012. It also tied you into obsolete DDR3 RAM and a dead motherboard socket. You really are looking at a new system for any meaningful upgrade.

Reactions: Why_Me
I bought a prebuilt from CyberPower PC in 2017/18, and am struggling to run decent FPS on games I like playing (stuttering/freezing), is there something I can do to fix these issues within a $300 price range?

My specs are:
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 250 Series
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 16.0 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P FX

(If I missed any important information, apologies in advance)
Maybe make it better.....not good just better.
Give the innards a good cleaning.....heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Got the proper bios and drivers.
Do a little house cleaning on the storage.
If using a hdd perhaps a pass of defrag.

ASK THE COMMUNITY