[SOLVED] What should I upgrade to from a gtx 1060?

speedboost2023

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Hey everyone, I currently have a gtx 1060 3gb with an i5-8400 and 16gb of ram. My system still does not bug me a ton but I would like to be able to reach my 144hz refresh rate on my 1080p monitor. I have a sketchy 500w non 80 plus powersupply that came with my prebuilt system and am ok with an upgrade. I actually found a power supply I think would be a good fit already Powersupply. Please give me your suggestions, thank you!

Solution
Hey everyone, I currently have a gtx 1060 3gb with an i5-8400 and 16gb of ram. My system still does not bug me a ton but I would like to be able to reach my 144hz refresh rate on my 1080p monitor. I have a sketchy 500w non 80 plus powersupply that came with my prebuilt system and am ok with an upgrade. I actually found a power supply I think would be a good fit already Powersupply. Please give me your suggestions, thank you!

Like DiMzz said, a RTX 2060 would be a good bet for your situation, although you might have a bit of difficulty reaching all the way up to 144 fps; doing so will probably require you to drop quality settings a bit in some of the games you play and will also ask a lot of your CPU. If you can afford...
Aug 26, 2020
with that CPU i would personally go with the RTX 2060 mainly because it would work nicely with the i5-8400 and it would be able to provide you with the 144hz, i personally have the gigabyte 2060 windforce oc which works amazing for what i spent on it, if its available for you i would highly recommend it

speedboost2023

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
with that CPU i would personally go with the RTX 2060 mainly because it would work nicely with the i5-8400 and it would be able to provide you with the 144hz, i personally have the gigabyte 2060 windforce oc which works amazing for what i spent on it, if its available for you i would highly recommend it
Would I need to upgrade my psu?

Like DiMzz said, a RTX 2060 would be a good bet for your situation, although you might have a bit of difficulty reaching all the way up to 144 fps; doing so will probably require you to drop quality settings a bit in some of the games you play and will also ask a lot of your CPU. If you can afford it, a RTX 2060 Super might make it easier to hit 144 fps without dropping settings, and it'll also age better due to the increased amount of VRAM (8GB vs 6GB).

As far as power supplies go, wattage is a poor measurement of how good a power supply is. What is important is the platform, the system that the components of the PSU are built on and the quality of the components. If you think your PSU is sketchy, I would definitely upgrade it for your new GPU.

While the PSU that you showed in the link is very likely a step in the right direction, it is non-modular. Do you really want a whole bunch of unused SATA, Molex and floppy drive power connectors floating around in your tower?

If I were you I would consult the Tom's Hardware Best PSUs page and make a decision based off of what you learn there.

FYI, Nvidia recommends a 500 watt PSU for the RTX 2060 and a 550 watt PSU for the RTX 2060 Super. Going over the requirement doesn't hurt though, as it might pay off the next time you buy a GPU if the power requirement is higher.

Solution

speedboost2023

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Like DiMzz said, a RTX 2060 would be a good bet for your situation, although you might have a bit of difficulty reaching all the way up to 144 fps; doing so will probably require you to drop quality settings a bit in some of the games you play and will also ask a lot of your CPU. If you can afford it, a RTX 2060 Super might make it easier to hit 144 fps without dropping settings, and it'll also age better due to the increased amount of VRAM (8GB vs 6GB).

As far as power supplies go, wattage is a poor measurement of how good a power supply is. What is important is the platform, the system that the components of the PSU are built on and the quality of the components. If you think your PSU is sketchy, I would definitely upgrade it for your new GPU.

While the PSU that you showed in the link is very likely a step in the right direction, it is non-modular. Do you really want a whole bunch of unused SATA, Molex and floppy drive power connectors floating around in your tower?

If I were you I would consult the Tom's Hardware Best PSUs page and make a decision based off of what you learn there.

FYI, Nvidia recommends a 500 watt PSU for the RTX 2060 and a 550 watt PSU for the RTX 2060 Super. Going over the requirement doesn't hurt though, as it might pay off the next time you buy a GPU if the power requirement is higher.
Thanks, I was thinking a 1080 cause it was actually cheaper than a 2060 super because it’s evga b stock but it probably is smarter to go new. I have a psu shroud in my current computer that hides cables well but maybe I could go modular. I’ll take a look at that forum thank you

Thanks, I was thinking a 1080 cause it was actually cheaper than a 2060 super because it’s evga b stock but it probably is smarter to go new. I have a psu shroud in my current computer that hides cables well but maybe I could go modular. I’ll take a look at that forum thank you

The 1080 is good, but it will very soon be two generations old. It won't age as well as a 2060 super. Up to you though of course.

The link is for an article, not a forum FYI.