[SOLVED] What should I upgrade to help my PC run games better

Dec 9, 2019
I'm looking to upgrade my PC and I need some help figuring out what I should/shouldn't upgrade. Right now here are my specs

Processor AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA 1050 Ti

Ram: 16 GB

1TB SSD

1TB HDD

Right now I can run games like Far cry 5 on Medium to High setting and get 59-60 FPS. I'm hoping with the new games coming out to be able to run them well enough to be on high/very high settings.
The highest price wise I can go to is 200-300 USD. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Solution
You have a relatively well balanced pc now.

My stock approach to this perennial question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or...
Dec 9, 2019
60fps? Is Vsync on? That will limit you to 60 or 30fps. Make sure it's of when testing.

Both your cpu and gou could use an upgrade. I'd do the gpu first. That will provide a bigger bang.

Im not sure if vsync is on or not I’ll turn it off and try that, thank you.
Regarding the gpu I’ve been looking at the 1650 super NVIDIA any suggestions on what would be a good choice to upgrade to?

Dec 9, 2019
For 1080 gaming? The 1650 S would work, though not at max details for all games.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gtx_1650-super-turing/2

Here is our review of the card. This is at 1080 with all max details. Notice in many games it fails to hit 60FPS. A 1660 or 1060 or better would be a better idea. If you are willing to turn some details down you could hit 60FPS easy.

Ok, is there a significant difference or, should I say a noticeable difference between the 1650 Super and the gtx 1060? Thanks for the reply

4745454b

Titan
I know that the 1060 is able to hit 60FPS is most games at 1080. The 1650S as I showed above can't. So I would say it's noticeable. Though because the 1060 isn't listed in there I can't be certain. The games might have changed between tests so the 1060 might not have aged well.

You have a relatively well balanced pc now.

My stock approach to this perennial question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Solution

TRENDING THREADS